Oatmeal Stout recipe critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm trying to lock down a good oatmeal stout recipe. How's this look?

Yellow Lantern Oatmeal Stout v1.2
Oatmeal Stout

Type: All Grain
Date: 7/6/2008
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Brewer: Quicksilver Home Brewery
Boil Size: 7.00 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Brew Pot (7.5 gal) and Cooler (50 qt)
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.00
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
0.0 oz Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 0.00 %
6 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 54.55 %
2 lbs Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 18.18 %
1 lbs Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 9.09 %
1 lbs Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM) Grain 9.09 %
8.0 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 4.55 %
8.0 oz White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 4.55 %
2.00 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] (60 min) Hops 32.5 IBU
1 Pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.052 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.014 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.02 %
Bitterness: 32.5 IBU Calories: 43 cal/pint
Est Color: 40.9 SRM Color: Color

What temp are you planning on mashing? Most stout recipes are mashed rather high (156ish). With the high mash temp, oats, and the 1lb cara-pils this might be pretty chewy. It looks a lot like some of the other recipes that I have been reading/kicking around.

I am thinking about modifying the "Damn Kids" oatmeal stout in the recipe database to include a little chocolate (cocoa).

Let us know how it turns out.

Edit: what do you hope to gain from the 0.0 lbs rice hulls? :)

Looks good but I'd change the following to my taste.

I'd cut the oats to 10% so it sparges easier, drop the wheat malt and add more MO to make up the difference and swap the dextrin for biscuit malt for bready notes.

Here's mine for comparison. My next brew of this will be 10 gallons with half oaked. MMMM oaked.

Code:
Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.75 gal      
Boil Size: 7.68 gal
Estimated OG: 1.060 SG
Estimated Color: 34.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 31.7 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount        Item                                      Type         % or IBU      
8 lbs 6.4 oz  Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM)          Grain        66.67 %       
1 lbs 6.4 oz  Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM)                    Grain        11.11 %       
11.2 oz       Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM)                   Grain        5.56 %        
11.2 oz       Caramel/Crystal Malt - 90L (90.0 SRM)     Grain        5.56 %        
11.2 oz       Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM)                Grain        5.56 %        
11.2 oz       Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM)                Grain        5.56 %        
1.50 oz       Williamette [5.50 %]  (60 min)            Hops         31.7 IBU      
1.00 items    Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min)          Misc                       
1 Pkgs        SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04)      Yeast-Ale                  

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 12.60 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time     Name               Description                         Step Temp     
60 min        Mash In            Add 15.75 qt of water at 170.1 F    154.0 F

I'd drop the CaraPils and wheat and replace them with more Maris Otter. Oats add body as well as a nutty flavor and silky, full mouthfeel. Most of the benchmark Oatmeal Stout recipes consist of oats, pale malt, and roasted barley. That's it!

Oats have lots of oil in them, which can adversely impact head retention, so the proportion of the grist should be fairly small: No more than 10%, IMO.

When I make an oatmeal stout, I keep it as simple as possible:

8 lbs Maris Otter
1 lb Muntons Roasted Barley
1 lb Flaked Oats

That's it! I mash like a normally do - 152degF single infusion - and ferment with a medium-attenuating ale yeast to make it more chewy.

Cheers,

Bob

Thanks, guys. I think on recommendations, I'll dump the wheat at least, reduce the flaked oats and make up the difference with MO. I do want to keep the chocolate malt for this batch as I don't want to stray too far from my last recipe - grain learnin' ya know:).

Lesson from the last one - 2lbs of Crystal 60 does not belong:eek: -

I like the biscuit malt for next time:mug:

Back