What do you do with your used grains?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another compost pile here. I brew at a friends house who has a great dane, initially the pile wasn't well secured, and the dog ate a fair amount of grain, and assorted other rot. He never went after the pile until the grains started going in.... Nice chicken wire walls for the pile now.

I love it, and keep a big 1lb jar in my fridge at all times. Slice & toast a bagel, apply some high quality butter and then just the thinnest smear of vegemite. Delicious! It's also good for adding richness and depth of flavor to beef stews and soups.

It's also a great source of B vitamins.

I like vegemite, but it's both hard to find and expensive in the US. Anyone know how to make it?

maybe I'll give my spent grains to my fiance for her birds, cut down on her bird seed expense...amazingy how fast those birds go through her bagS of seeds

I did just brew a witbier w wheat berries (unmalted wheat), soaked wheat berries and then boiled for another thirty minutes...tasted good and hearty...used them to make a rice pilaf.

You pull the grains out before adding hops. Don't let the dog get hops, its poisonous to them.

I have now baked several batches of the dog biscuits and every dog goes crazy for them. Mine perks up as soon as I start mixing them up because she knows whats coming.

Any suggestions on a substitute for peanut butter? I love the idea of making the dog treats (have 2 big dogs) but my stepson is deathly allergic to all nuts (as well as shellfish, pollen, mold, and more...). Any ideas?

Well this thread has been dead for a while but hopefully somebody sees this. I'm brewing a 17lbs oatmeal stout with a half pound of rice hulls tomorrow. I want begin making all the different recipes I've found from here because I don't have the space for a compost pile (townhouse). Cookies, bread, dog treats, and veggie burger patties.

I'm a little worried about the rice hulls, are they going to be usable? The last thing I want are hundreds of painful cuts on the inside of my mouth because the rice hulls are still hard... anyone have any experience here?

I freeze the grains and then give them to my chickens - they love them. I also use some in the garden as it makes a fairly good soil addition. And, the more grain I feed the chickens, the more the chickens poop, which I also add to the garden :D

No idea about the rice hulls but I highly recommend the dog treats. Actually, I spent this morning making a few batches. My dog wouldn't leave my side.

Back