gone with the wind

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopsalot

Reaction score
Brewed an all grain pale rye ale, went to pitch yeast, the wind picked up and less than a third of the yeast blew into the darkness. The next day it was bubbling, after a week if my gravity is not right should I pitch more yeast? My OG was 1.058if my gravity is not close to 1.010 I will probably pitch more.

Was it nottingham? You should probubly be fine. BierMuncher did an experiment with 10 gallon batches. He used 1/2 a pack of notty per carboy and it fermented out fine.

I say you'll be ok but you can always pitch more yeast...couldn't hurt. I know the liquid town just has white labs (except for dry champain yeast :drunk: ) and the toddy shoppe only has montrachet and champain yeast so if you need some more I'm pretty sure I've got a pack hanging out in the fridge (in fact I've got some washed notty I'd give ya...)

Good luck and save me a couple of this one! :mug:

hopsalot said:
Brewed an all grain pale rye ale, went to pitch yeast, the wind picked up and less than a third of the yeast blew into the darkness. The next day it was bubbling, after a week if my gravity is not right should I pitch more yeast? My OG was 1.058if my gravity is not close to 1.010 I will probably pitch more.

Sounds like you are OK.

I move my fermenters inside for areation, final temp check, and yeast pitching. I also turn off any Heat/AC so there's no air moving around dust, pollen, etc.

Just my two cents. Works for me.

Back