Whats Missing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdr01

Reaction score
Trying to keep it simple. Is there anything missing from my brew stand? I ran a test with water and everything seems good. I will possibly add input fittings near the top instead of tossing the hose over the top. One fitting might be a whirlpool device in the boil kettle. I might add a switch for the pump later but for now I think it will work..
Will try my first whole grain in a couple weeks.

IMG_1190.jpg

IMG_1180.jpg

Looks like it will work. If you want you could use a remote control for holiday lights to control the pump. It is simple and easier than unplugging the power cord.

Since I see one pump, I assume you'll be batch sparging so it's good.

If you want to continuous sparge (fly sparge), you'd need a second pump.

Hopefully, your inaugural batch is soon!

You need some sort of drip shield for your pump. You don't want to get the back end of that thing wet.

Agreed. Just this week someone drowned both their pumps with wort and they both seized. That's gonna be a pricey hit unless the motors can be broken down and cleaned...

Cheers!

542- You saved my pump. Thanks. first time out it boiled over onto the new cover.

I think I will need a better thermometer with a remote probe to put into the center of the mash. My problem was with the lower mounted thermometer. When it read 150 I added heat while recirculating. I had wort perk out of the sight glass. I can't figure that one out. Does the grain seal so tight it created pressure under the grain bed? After that happened I checked the temp at the top and it was 168 degrees. It took awhile to cool it down by recirculating with top off.

Hope my ten gallon batch is drinkable. Should have started with five.

Back