Does this look like an infection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captainkirk83

Reaction score
image-2574424389.jpg

Bottle was not shaken. It is just slow and steady fizzing over the top of the bottle.

It's impossible to say. It could be improperly mixed priming sugar (some bottles got more than others), too much priming sugar, too early in the carbonation phase (not enough CO2 dissolved into solution), infection, etc. Need more details. How much did you prime with, how did you mix the sugar in, how long have they been carbing up, how does it taste?

This is an Irish stout I brewed around mid January it was an extract kit by brewers best from my lhbs. Been in bottles about 6 weeks. I believe this was the last bottle to be bottled in this batch so I think it must have excess sugar from the batch prime that had settled to the bottom of the bucket

This is an Irish stout I brewed around mid January it was an extract kit by brewers best from my lhbs. Been in bottles about 6 weeks. I believe this was the last bottle to be bottled in this batch so I think it must have excess sugar from the batch prime that had settled to the bottom of the bucket

I'd say that if it didn't taste sour or vinegar-y you're fine and, as surmised above, it's probably just over-carbonated from a denser concentration of the priming solution left in the bottom of the fermenter at the end of bottling.

BTW, the lollipop looks,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,medicinal.;):fro:

If you batch primed and stirred gently, you should not have had any excess sugar or settling at all, none.

If your conditioning temps ran much below 70*F, you may actually need to give these some extra time. Darker beers (and higher gravity ones) can take longer to finish in the bottles.

After conditioning 6 weeks, how long did you refrigerate that bottle before you popped the top? If less than 3-4 days, you may want to try longer in the fridge.

Latest posts

Back