Keep getting mold

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gtgirl20

Reaction score
I started another batch of homebrew this time with apple juice, 1 teaspoon of yeast (I made a yeast starter) and 2 cups of sugar I sanitized my air lock and bung placed it all on and now 5 days later it has mold! Could my yeast be wrong? I just bought brewers yeast off amazon nothing inperticular please help or give me advice

And btw my air lock has not bubbled since or burped idk why it really frustrates me

Brewers yeast is dead yeast used as a nutritional supplement. It will not ferment anything. I suggest going to your home brew store or purchasing one of the lalvin yeast strains online.

Brewer's yeast? Like the dietary supplement..or ale yeast for making beer? Since you made a starter was it actively fermenting when you pitched it...or did you just hydrate the yeast?

It Started to fall so I dropped it in the bottle and went and idk I just went into amazon and typed in brewers yeast and bought the 1lb bag

Brewer's yeast, if you by chance bought the nutritional supplement, is tasty when sprinkled on buttered popcorn, veggies and, brown rice. Thought I would give you some ideas for use since you bought a 1 lb bag of the stuff. But, yeah, you need to buy yeast from a online or local home brew shop.

Back