Removing hop seeds?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JKaranka

Reaction score
Hi guys!

Do you have any neat ways to remove floating seeds from the fermentor? My Brewer's Gold is quite seedy for some reason...

The best thing to do is to just rack the beer out from under them, into a new (secondary) vessel.

How did you fill the fermentor? Ideally you should adjust your technique a bit so that the hop trub (including seeds, etc) don't make it into the fermenter. Brewers will often use a false bottom (as I do), or whirlpool to seperate the trub from the wort.

Side question, are these homegrown hops? In general, commercially packaged hops should have very low (if any) seed content. The only time I have ever found a large number of seeds in my brew kettle is when I was brewing with homgrown hops I didn't quite harvest in time. (they still made fantastic beer though)

Cheers!

I wish it was the wrong plant!

No, they are commercially grown German Brewer's Golds. Got seeds in some of my other hops but not as much as on this one. I guess that if they are no harm I won't really worry about them, it's cool to have some in your bottle :D They do float, but I assume scooping them out is out of the question? :D

i forgit where i picked it up but i have a tight mesh bag that fits over the head of the fermenting bucket that i rack through to catch any break material that makes it past my false bottom. you could also line the bucket with a paint strainer bag and remove bag when racking is complete.

Back