HOPS - Ultimate Collection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrNatural

The Original, beware of imposters.
Reaction score
Ok, I've learned so much from the knowledgeable and talented denizens of this forum helping me follow the Golden Road, I decided to throw this out.

I will be planting hops this spring, but only have room for 5-6 plants. So, if you were stuck on an island and could only have 3 varieties of hops, what would they be, and why?

I'm mostly into pale/red ales, with an occasional porter.

Thanks for helping me down the path of enlightenment.

Dale

Centennial, Citra, and Columbus, because I love IPA's.... But based on what you said you like to drink, I'd go with Centennial, Cascade, and East Kent Goldings

Good luck man, hope they come out great!

Since you can't get access to simcoe, Amarillo, or citra rhizomes due to patents...

I'd go chinook, centennial, cascade(x2), Columbus, willamette.

I would look in the hops growing forum to see if anyone has had particular success with any specific variety in your climate.

But based on what you said you like to drink, I'd go with Centennial, Cascade, and East Kent Goldings

This....and as an option to Goldings, I might go with Willamette like Xpertskir recommended. Personally, I've had GREAT success with Cascade and Centennial and not so much with Goldings, but I've seen folks here on the forum that have had great luck with Goldings.

I do an amber ale and porter on constant rotation, so I planted some of the hops related to them. Nuggett and willamette

Thanks all. Excellent suggestions, just what I was hoping for.

But it does make me want to rethink the number of plants I've limited myself to. Might need more varieties, just in case the zombies occupy LHBS

Sometimes too much is barely enough:rockin:

When you say 5-6 plants, are you planning on getting 2 rhizomes of each? The rhizomes will get bigger each year, so maybe get 4 different varieties and just space them out a little more. If you crowd them together too much, they might intertwine with each other, making it hard to tell which ones you're harvesting.

I'm down here in Oakland, and two years ago I planted Cascade, Centennial, and Willamette. The Centennial and Willamette have done the best, and of those, it's most satisfying having the Centennial since they would be more expensive to buy retail. I do a lot of pales/IPAs, and occasionally English and Belgian styles, for which the Willamettes are great. I'm thinking of digging up the Cascade this year and devoting more space to the other two, they could definitely use it.

Back