cold crashed 2 brews, one is clear, one is not

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YeastHerder

Reaction score
Both are simple SMaSHs. Whirlfloc in the boil as usual, chilled to pitching temp in ~ 15 mins. OG=1.057 for one and 1.055 for the other. They were both 2 weeks in primary, cold crash for 24 hours, + gelatin, and 4 more days in the cold. I've done this about 6 times now, and previous ones all turned crystal clear around day 4. Now, one is crystal clear, the other is still cloudy.

Only real difference between them is that the cloudy one got Northern brewer hops, the clear one got Hallertaur. Ideas? It can't really be the hop can it?

Yea could be hop haze..
Nothing to worry about, just let it sit in the fridge and it should clear eventually.
And if the beer tastes good, who cares about the clearness :d, bottoms up!

All grain. Hops were in the boil at 10 mins left and in a hop bag that was pulled after flame out. The yeast strain for the two was also the same (WLP005).

Could it be as simple as one was in a cooler spot when you crashed and the other is just slower to clear?

All grain. Hops were in the boil at 10 mins left and in a hop bag that was pulled after flame out. The yeast strain for the two was also the same (WLP005).

Did you hit your mash temps on the cloudy one? Anything odd happen during the mash?

I think the problem was me not really understanding how to use gelatin correctly. I had been trying to follow the beersmith instructions:

http://beersmith.com/blog/2008/12/30/fining-agents-improving-beer-clarity/

but I wasn't getting it fully dissolved - I probably even had mostly a slurry instead of a solution. So, last night I added gelatin again, but this time making sure it was actually dissolved... and less than 24 hrs later, it is looking nearly crystal clear.

For the one that worked earlier, I can only guess it was dumb luck of that one getting more of the dissolved part and less of the slurry part to begin with.

Back