Weldless bulkheads

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SookeBrewing

Reaction score
Good day all! I am currently building an electric brewery setup in my garage (thread here).

I'm using converted kegs for my brewing vessels, and one thing I'm having trouble deciding is just which style of weldless bulkhead to use for all my fittings.

It seems that most of the major suppliers (Bargain Fittings, Brew Hardware, etc) have a similar kit:

1/2in close nipple, an O-ring of some sort, and a coupling or elbow for the inside of the keg.

If I go by TheElectricBrewery.com's design, They have pretty much the same setup except they have 2 extra shims/washers, one on the outside and one on the inside, as seen in (F and G) in this picture:
IMG_1729_letters.jpg

Having not used either before, I'm curious as to the difference the extra parts make. It's certainly easier for me to build/order the kit-style bulkheads rather than the Kal-style ones with the extra shims, since McMaster-Carr doesn't ship to Canada (or even to a freight forwarder).

Has anyone got any experience with either or both? It seems to me that, installed correctly, either should work well.

Thanks,

Personally I would get them welded....I've used both bargain fittlings and brew hardware...always had a little drip...so I ended up finding a welder to weld them on

IIRC, Kal says on his website that those washers are meant to prevent you from over-tightening the nuts, which would squish and distort the silicone washers, and cause a leak.

I guess if you are careful about over tightening, you should be able to not use those washers and not get a leak.

However, I'm pretty sure you can order all the parts from Canada for cheaper than ordering from the US. Try ontariobeerkegs.com

Back