Boiling hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxoldo

Reaction score
With extract, do I boil bittering hops (water only) first for let's say 45 min and then add an extract and boil a little more to make 60 min? I don't want to make a beer darker with 60 min extract boiling, it's not nessesary to boil LME or DME for over 10-15 min anyway right?

With extract, do I boil bittering hops (water only) first for let's say 45 min and then add an extract and boil a little more to make 60 min? I don't want to make a beer darker with 60 min extract boiling, it's not nessesary to boil LME or DME for over 10-15 min anyway right?

Yes, you can do that. The boiling time is "backwards" from the first hops addition, so you can do the first addition at 60 minutes and add the extract at 15 minutes. I'd probably add some of the extract right at the beginning, and not just boil water and hops. I suppose it's ok to do that, but I always just wanted to have a wort that would approximate the AG version as far as SG and composition. I'd add maybe 1/2 to 1/3 of the extract at the beginning, and the rest of the extract at the end.

Some brewers add some of their extract late in the boil to avoid caramelization. Some say it doesn't matter that much. I say if you're a new brewer just boil your extract the whole boil. Get your techniques down first, then start experimenting with other techniques. Keep it simple and you'll make good beer.

Unless the recipe calls for adding the DME late, you will alter the IBUs.

My first few beers, I followed the directions and didn't play around. I have found that boiling DME for 60m vs. 15m does really darken the finished product ... but I didn't notice that huge of a taste difference. YMMV.

Back