Automated immersion test

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bzomerlei

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has set up an automated way to make sure an electric heating element is fully immersed in liquid. I am using the BCS controller, and was thinking that a sensor to test for immersion could be monitored and used to determine if the element could be powered or not.

I suppose a float switch could be used in the HLT, but might be difficult to clean for the boil kettle.

I have seen capacitive proximity sensors that may be an option.

The other consideration here is cost/benefit; does it make sense to spend $60+ on a sensor to protect a $20 part...

Thoughts?

Jesus, how lazy are you guys?:)

Lol... I was not working the lazy angle.

Just thinking if there was a way to prevent burning up an element if it accidentally was energized while dry, or if the volume in the HLT dropped while sparging or cleaning in place.

If you can get sensors similar to this working with BCS I think it would be a pretty clean design.

I was really surprised not to see more people trying to incorporate something like this into their builds. Seems like the natural thing to do in an electric kettle. Is there something that I'm missing that makes this a bad idea? I, too, would simply like something that would not allow power to the elements unless they are immersed.

Back