Used California V instead of California Ale yeast, what to do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwpumo

Reaction score
Well, I basically screwed up which yeast goes to which beer.

I am making several brews for over the holidays and so therefore I had 2 strains of yeast in my fridge.

I used California V yeast instead of California Ale yeast in a Holiday ale. And now I am forced to use the Ale yeast in an Amber.

Any suggestions on what effect this might have and should I do something, like introduce another strain into the beer? I haven't used the California Ale strain yet and the Holiday Ale has only been fermenting for 12 hours.

Or am I all set and what effect positive or negative will the screw up have on my brews? Any info would be appreciated.

Dan

If this is the worst thing to happen to you and your beers, relax. Its not a big deal. Your beers will end up a little different than they would have if you used the other yeast, but they'll be fine. If you've made these beers before, look at it as an experiment - compare and contrast. If you haven't made these beers before, then just tell yourself that you meant to use the V in the Holiday. :)

Thanks guys, very helpful.

I normally use dry yeast, so I never have this issue. Appreciate it.

I actually prefer Wyeast 1272 (the Wyeast equivalent of Cal V) over 1056 (the Wyeast equivalent of Cal Ale). At least for the Wyeast strains, the 1272 is more flocculant, a little less attenuative, and slightly more fruity. It makes a great American Ale. I've never done a side by side comparison with the same recipe and the different yeasts, so it could just be in my head.

California V is awesome yeast. Your beer will be great.

I just pulled a pale ale off of the Cal V, and the malty flavor/slight ester character is really nice, with the hops still shining through beautifully. That strain is one that justifies the extra work of using a liquid yeast.

I just pulled a pale ale off of the Cal V, and the malty flavor/slight ester character is really nice, with the hops still shining through beautifully. That strain is one that justifies the extra work of using a liquid yeast.

Yeah, I dig it too. Bit more flavor than 1056/WLP001.

Back