yeast starter size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

axr

Reaction score
hey homebrewers-

I've been using yeast starters on my last two batches (Hefe and APA) and am PO'd that I didn't do this sooner. Great results - minimal lag time, awesome ferments and great tasting beer. Anyway, I've been searching through the forums for an answer to the following:
  • Can I make a starter for all batches regardless of OG? Is it possible to do ahrm through a yeast starter?
  • I know lagers and higher OG beers require larger starters/step ups, but is there a rule of thumb for starter size? i.e should I stick with 100g DME to 1000ml ratio or can I go up to 150g/1500ml? (I have a 2L flask and stir plate) Does a larger starter have an impact (positive or negative) on a medium OG beer of say 1.050-1.065?

thanks
axr

If you are using liquid yeast you can and should use starters for every beer. Higher gravity beers do require (or benefit from I should say) larger starters. Your DME to water ratios are perfect. Here is an excellent online calculator for how large of a starter for your size of beer.

http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

Don't forget to select the stir plate option when using it. Using a stir plate does really improve propagation.

You can squeeze as much as a 2L starter in a 2L flask. Use foam control drops during the boil.

Overpitching is usualy not as harmful as underpitching but it depends on the beer style, gravity, etc...

The mrmalty calculator is the shiznit. Follow the directions on that and you will always be pitching the proper amount per batch.

The next subject you should consider is fermentation temp. If you can master yeast pitching rates and fermentation temps your gonna make some super awesome beer.

Starters serve 2 main purposes, one: to grow your yeast to a higher count in order to handle bigger beers, and two: to get the yeast healthy and active.

So yes, its good to make a starter for ALL beers even small ones. For the small ones (1.045 and lower) you can just use 1 liter of starter wort, that will not really grow the yeast much past your 100 billion in a pack or vial. It will just get it active for you and viability will be close to 100%.
For 1.045-1.055, maybe you go 1.5 liter. Above that you probably should add another .5 liter for every .005 points of gravity. That's a good starting point for ales. Double all that for lagers. These are estimates and pretty big pitches but pretty close to what I stick to with a stir plate.

Or you could just use mrmalty.com! You can never underpitch with that :p

I hope this isn't too off topic, but axr's post made me think of it. I'd heard from a couple of sources about NOT using a starter for hefes, because all of the banana/clove characteristic come from the heavy yeast proliferation. Is this true, or are starters fine for hefe?

Back