Critique my brewstand design please.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
brewman ! said:
dcbrewmeister, I agree the handles should be more wheelbarrow like. So that one grabs them mid thigh and then straightens the legs to lift. They should also be removeable so that one has full access to the brewpot when boiling. Just my $0.02 though.

Use a quick release pin (like a receiver hitch) instead of a bolt and nut...

Just so people understand, I am going to build and test my system as I go.

I'm going to put together the steam generator and vessels along with the new control system and get that working. Once I am happy with that, I'll build the new stand.

I want to get the steam generator and control system working first so that that if I change something it doesn't affect the layout of the stand. Once the process works, I'll design the stand to fit it.

I'll use my old stand and such until I get my new one done. It will be a bit makeshift, but its better than building a whole system and then hacking it to pieces because it doesn't work the way I wanted.

Brew man, once you have the components, why not build a mock up using scrap wood or what ever is to hand to get a feel for it before going for the "real" build.

Or do you think you'll d a MKII anyway?

Brew man, once you have the components, why not build a mock up using scrap wood or what ever is to hand to get a feel for it before going for the "real" build.

Or do you think you'll d a MKII anyway?

I'd rather build it in steel and sell it if I do a MKII. I can cut and weld steel pretty fast and its not that expensive.

Must admit there was a time when I'd rather build a shed from steel than wood. I used to use a welder every day.

Some people think it's a black art but when you've tried it and have the kit it's real easy. I've not welded for over 15 years bought a mig welder last year "just in case". I'd love to get into SS welding but I have feeling I'd need a ig for that.

Just a suggestion, but wouldn't the handles be better/easier to handle if they were more "wheelbarrow" like?

I agree, wheelbarrow handles would be more pratical for moving the stand. But bent pipe looks cool (a personal problem I have with everything being unique) and I was kind of thinking you could put hooks on the horz handle for hanging the lid and whatnot. You could also put a plate on top of the horz bar and make a shelf right by the brew kettle. Maybe I can mesh the concepts.

Several people in this post don't like having the mash vessel up high. "a high mash tun just makes no sense to me." That kind of makes sense to me.

http://morebeer.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=14486&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

One guy says this.

"I built a 1550, but regret it because I don't want to lift a keg up to the top.
If I can sell it, I'll build a single tier like yours."

Another guy says this.

"I like that setup too, I dont like filling my hlt on a ladder or lifting even that empty keg up that high. The only thing that is holding me back is the price of the pump."

I am thinking of going single tier or maybe 1.5 tier, with the boiling kettle nearly on the floor. I still like the idea of the mash vessel gravity draining into the boiler.

A true single tier system needs 2 pumps. The interesting thing about using two pumps is that it makes a HERMs setup really easy in that one pump can pump HLT water through a CCF and another pump can circulate wort through the other side of it. Not a bad way to heat wort if you ask me.

I might use both my steam masher and the CCF idea. That is overkill, but you can bet that between the two I will always have a way to control my mash temps !

Another thing I read over and over it everyone hates digging the spent grains out of the mash vessel. I really like the idea of having the mash vessel on a tipping mechanism.

The things I don't like about a single tier system is that its about 2 feet longer to store (6' long versus 4' long) and it probably needs a second pump and then the wort is pumped rather than gravity fed into the boiler during sparge. I don't know if I like that.

I wonder if putting a nice big fold up platform on the side of the 1550 design would help. So that its easy and comfortable to look at/work with the mash. It would still be a bit of a pain to get up there all the time.

beer4breakfast said:
There's nothing interesting inside of an HLT, and no reason to climb a ladder to look inside of it.

I 'bout fell on the floor when I read that:mug: Put a sight glass on it and fill it from a valve on the side of the stand somewhere. Why do you need to look at a big kettle filling with water?:ban: 'bout as interesting as watching a pool fill. Get fancy, put an automatic shut off vavle on it.

I don't know why you would need a block and tackle to lift the keg, assuming you are filling from a pressurized water source like a tap. Just use the pressure to push the water up into the keg.

The thing I wonder about is having an elevated mash vessel. People are complaining about having to climb up to look, stir, etc. I don't think it would be that bad, provided it isn't really high. As far as adding the grains goes, I can live with that. And if its on a tippy, its an advantage to have it high, so you can get the garbage can under it to catch the grains.

I'm leaning towards an elevated mash vessel right now.

A single sturdy step up is all even a short person would need to see and be able to stir the mash at the height of the one in your design. I wouldn't sweat it.

That is what I am thinking.

I didn't realize people were talking about an empty keg. I thought they were filling it and then hoisting it. I've got an engine hoist and I bench press about 180, so either way, thats not an issue for me. *grin

I think I am going to go with an elevated mash vessel, ala B3-1550. I need to test my steam system and a few other things before I start actually building.

Thanks, b4b ! I'll keep you posted. If things go well, I'll be working on the steam setup tomorrow.

What is the purpose of having the laptop? just saw it in the picture and became curious, is that for making "micro" brews?

Having a laptop control everything means its easy to make various changes to the control algorithms and it provides a lot more versatility and functionality.

brewman ! said:
Having a laptop control everything means its easy to make various changes to the control algorithms and it provides a lot more versatility and functionality.
Dang you must have a handle on home brewing, I just think fire,water,barley, hops, yeast, and ferment, so far that has made good beer for me. I hope to reach that level someday.

I've got a background in controls and electronics and computers, so its pretty easy for me. PID controllers are OK, but they can have a hard time with non linear heating systems and such. I am going to try to automate the steam heating of my mash and I kind of doubt a PID controller would work well for that. With a microcontroller and a laptop, I can do some pretty funky control stuff.

Plus I can coordinate a bunch of things together during the brew all from one laptop. For instance, if I put an electric heating element in the HLT and I have one in the steam boiler and I can't have them both on at the same time, thats easy to do. It could also be do with 2 PID controllers but it takes more wiring and relays.

At some point with controls it gets easier to do things in software than hardware.

Another thing I want to do is log mash temperatures to a chart so that when I do step mashes, I can see what I am actually doing to the mash.

Brewing beer is all about temp control when mashing. You and I are both doing the same things. I am just trying to automate the process and have a little more consistency. Time will tell if its successful/worthwhile or not.

Have you worked with Opto 22 hardware before?. I am in the process of automating a single tier steam injection Rims system with flow, temperature, level, pump, fuel flow and ignition for the burners. All of the control equipment has been purchased on Ebay over the last year at fairly low cost, all that is left is the purchase of a couple of PT 100 rtds to complete the hardware.

The microcontroller board doesn't need an interface board. Its interface is 0 to 5 volts directly into the ADC. My temp sensors will be thermistors powered by the board power supply, 5 volts and to the ADC will probably be 1 to 4 V.

Update. The steam boiler is ready to boil.

The microcontroller board arrived today. I got it shipped USPS. Its just like the pictures except the terminal strips don't have screws like the picture shows They have a 0.100" header, so no big deal. But screws would have been nicer.

I am probably not going to have time to work with it for a while though. Just saying.

Looks like a great stab at a functional design--I'm visiting all the local club members' set-ups with an eye to building my own some day--If it makes good beer, it was a success!

Keep me posted the microcontroller board development and the front end GUI programming.

I've been wanting to automagic some functions for a long time.

I cant wait to check out your source code!

Keep'on Truck'n! oh yeah, and Linux Rocks!

wildbill said:
Keep me posted the microcontroller board development and the front end GUI programming.

Sure thing. I'll post here.

I've been wanting to automagic some functions for a long time.

ah... the power of Open Source code !

I cant wait to check out your source code!

Now I'm nervous... *chuckle Get Eclipse, get an Ardruino board and help me ! http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=666

Keep'on Truck'n! oh yeah, and Linux Rocks!

You got that right !

Just in case you missed it, I've built the Corny steam boiler for this project and I've tested steam mashing. I'll be too busy to work on the stand for a while, but I'm slowly piecing things together.

Back