It's ALIVE!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just went out yeasterday to trim last year's stubs down to nothing and play with the soil in my hops beds. Lo and Behold the little buggers have already started popping their precious little heads out of the ground!!

Bless their minuscule hearts. Now I'm going to have to plan how to keep them from getting too cold when the freeze comes back around. (I've lived here long enough to know that it IS going to come before summer gets here!)

I'm in central Lower Michigan.

Just went out yeasterday to trim last year's stubs down to nothing and play with the soil in my hops beds. Lo and Behold the little buggers have already started popping their precious little heads out of the ground!!

Bless their minuscule hearts. Now I'm going to have to plan how to keep them from getting too cold when the freeze comes back around. (I've lived here long enough to know that it IS going to come before summer gets here!)

I'm in central Lower Michigan.

Excellent!

After reading this I had to go out and check mine. They are popping up too. :D

You can put small plastic tents over the shoots, but it really isn't a big deal. My Cascade has been snowed on, but it is still the best performer. I've got some tomato tents that are filled with water that I'm going to try on some of the other hops this year, assuming the critters didn't eat all of them. Not looking good, though.

img_1495.jpg

Yeah, a little snow is not a big deal, but sometimes the temps go quite low and the stalks freeze. This happened last year and even though the plants were ok in the long run, they lost a week or two of time having to sprout all over again. I'm not going to sweat about it too much, but it wouldn't be too hard to prevent with a little advance work.

Back