Pistachio Beer Ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hellfish76

Reaction score
So my roommate has decided that he wants to start brewing beer and for some reason wants to put pistachios in it. Has anybody done a pistachio beer or have any ideas about a good recipe for a pistachio beer?

I've done one with a pale ale and am about to try making a brown with pistachio.

My two suggestions when using pistachio's are....

Use some roasted pistachios in your mash and use a pound or so to create a "tea" for secondary.

When making the tea steep the nuts in some hot water and then freeze with liquid. When you transfer to secondary thaw out the liquid and remove any fats that are suspended on top, then add the tea to your secondary and mix in.

I have a brown ale about to go into secondary in a week or so and want to add pistachio as well, when making the tea, do you freeze with the pistachios still in the liquid and take out after thaw, or remove them before freezing?

I removed them prior to freezing.

IMO steeping the nuts in the hot water for awhile really pulls out all the flavor so there is no real reason to freeze the nuts.

My suggestion after u thaw out the liquid would be to run it through a coffee filter, that will help pull out the fats and oils that were still in solution. If those thigns get in the beer it will ruin head retention.

Latest posts

Back