Klingon Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alaskajoe

Reaction score
I ran across this recipe, and am curious what people think, or if they have brewed it before. As follows:

Fermentables
6.6 lb dark malt extract syrup
1 lb crushed crystal malt
.5 lb black patent malt
1/3 lb roasted barley

Hops
1.5 oz Northern Brewers hops--boil 60 min.
1 oz Tettnanger hops --finishing last 2 min.

Other
2 quarts prune juice WITH NO PRESERVATIVES!!!!
.75 c. corn sugar to prime

Yeast
ale yeast

Procedure: Steep grains 30 min at 150F. Strain into brew pot and rinse with one gal hot water.

Add extract, boiling hops and additional gal. water and boil 1 hr. Add finishing hops last 2 min.

Turn off heat and add prune juice to pasteurize for 10 min(probably not necessary since the juice is already pasteurized ).

Pour into primary fermenter and top with cold water up to 5 gal. Pitch
yeast when cool. Rack to secondary a week later. Bottle when ready. Age at least 4 wk.

I think norhern brewer is a good selection for the bittering hops.

Ussually gives a nice bitter chocolate flavor if I remember.

I don't think i've ever heard bitter chocolate used to describe the flavor of any hops.

All the descriptions i have read for Norther Brewer says it is somewhat woody with some everygreen/minty tones.

Well I guess I'll know what this one's like soon...locked it into the primary on Sunday! It's bubbling along nicely!

Any ideas on funny names for the brew relating to the Klingon/Worf/prune juice connection?

"This is a warriors drink!!"

ETA: My wife just pointed out that if you get the beer sh**s then this might not be a good beer for you

I thought about that too, but was told by those more experienced than me that in prune juice, it's the fiber that gives you that little something extra when running things through your system. I was told that most of that ferments out, basically leaving the flavor as the additive in the brew. I suppose we shall see!

You might want to calculate your priming sugar a little more carefully..... .75 cups seems like an awful lot to me. I'm sure you could find a priming sugar calculator online somewhere.

Not that all these apply to the style, but:

K-ale-less

Ar-bitter of Succession

Khitomer Wit

Disruptors on Tun

Kapla-mbic

And if it gives you the $h!tz, you can call it Kurn's Burn. In which case you will want to say:

http://www.kli.org/tlh/sounds/puchpa'.au

which means 'where's the bathroom'.

I crack me up (mostly just me).

(OK, how bout Stovokor Stout)

Finally got this into bottles....smells extremely good...can something smell smooth? It does. Hope it tastes as good once it conditions out!

Finally got this into bottles....smells extremely good...can something smell smooth? It does. Hope it tastes as good once it conditions out!

I think something is going to be more then just SMELLING smooth... Also, I'm not saying that I've ever been to Dragoncon before...but I thought Klingons liked tequila?

I'm gonna be making this one up in a couple of weeks. I have decided I will call it "Sons of Mogh Stout". I've come up with a label and everything. I guess that mans I'm excited.

After giving this a whirl and opening a couple of pretty green bottles, I'm very pleased with this recipe. Delicious!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Home Brew mobile app

Man, that 5 gallons went fast.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Home Brew mobile app

Back