Great Centennial Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I forgot to mention that I'm also doing BeirMuncher's Centennial Blonde. :rockin:

I can toss them in the freezer and wait for my next IPA if need be but I'd like to use them.

The Holly in my recipes section is centennial only. It's a very good dark amber/brown ale. It calls for spices, but its still a great beer without the spicing.

The Holly in my recipes section is centennial only. It's a very good dark amber/brown ale. It calls for spices, but its still a great beer without the spicing.

Great thanks.

I could use centennial instead of cascade most of the time right?

yeah. They are different despite the "super-cascade" label, but you can sub them for a similar effect. A combination of the two is fantastic, like SN celebration ale.

Basically, you have a huge amount of options using centennial hops.

If I did:

8 lb US 2-Row Pale
1 lb Munich
1 lb Caramel 60 L

2 oz. Centennial (60 min)
1 oz. Centennial (15 min)
Safale US-05.

Would this fall in the American Amber Ale Style?

What is the AA% on your centennials?

If you want to be a true Amber (BJCP guildlines) for color you should lean heavier towards the 60...maybe .5lbs munich and 1.5 60

Just an FYI-

I think you'll be pushing 60 IBUs w your current hop schedule.....ambers are under 40 I believe. So if you like hoppy beers, it sound like it could be a good one, but if you are worried about style guildlines you may want to cut your hops down.

Might I suggest a Maris Otter/Centennial SMaSH? Simple and a pleasure to drink. Maybe something like this.....

9lbs MO
1oz Cent FWH
1oz Cent 10 Mins
1oz Cent 5 Mins
1oz Cent at Flame Out

That should put you around 1.052(Assuming 75% eff) and 45 IBU's APA'ish.

:mug:

Back