Repairing coffee grinder / Decent cheap coffee grinder?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TXCrash

Gunshy
Reaction score
Backstory:
I know that a good deal of the members here are coffee geeks. I'm not quite there but insist on freshly ground french press every morning. The motor on my ancient (burnt orange) gaggia mdf grinder died. I haven't had a chance to dig into the machine yet but I doubt highly that the motor is reparable (I came out to the machine hot and turned on... not sure if little fingers or cats turned the machine on... Motor now sparks but does not turn when energized)

I've turned up little on the cost of replacement motors and even then ordering a replacement motor would be a gamble since this machine is over 20 years old and things change...

Question:
Hints on repairing existing unit would be appreciated.
Links to decent but cheap burr grinders would be as well.

get a new one...you can get a traditional grinder for around 20 bucks anywhere. A burr grinder is a bit better and starts off at about 60 dollars. Which is yours

The gaggia mdf is a ~$300 burr grinder. It was passed down to me by someone who'd moved onto better things.

I have a blade grinder which I'm using in the interim but blade grinders suck when you're trying to get a consistent grind. Burr grinders are the way to go but many are either overpriced or crap.

You say you aren't quite a geek - yet. A $20 Bodum grinder is all you need for a French press. Your $300 burr grinder would be nice for espressos but not necessary for your purposes. I've used my Bodum for over 5 years and, since I don't pull espresso shots either, I'm completely satisfied.

Back