boiling pork shoulder before smoking it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chainsawbrewing

Reaction score
I'm having abig party tomorrow, and have about 25 lbs of pork shoulder to cook. I've never cooked that much at once before, would it be ok if I just boiled the shoulders for awhile first, and only smoke them afterwards for a couple hours for flavor? I don't want them to be tough, I plan on pulled pork sandwiches, but don't have enough time to smoke them fo 30 hours. Thanks for any help/advice!

You'd be better off hitting the shoulders with smoke for 3-4 hours then finishing in the oven if tending the smoker is an impossibility.

boiling? Blasphemy!

Seriously, 30 hrs isn't necessary. You'll have pullable pork in 12-16hrs. If you don't have that long, smoke for 3-4 hrs, triple-wrap in foil, and place in a 250F oven for absolutely as long as you can.

What Fly said. I smoke mine for ~8 hours, then put them in a big deep roasting pan, cover that with foil, and put them in the oven at 225f overnight (~12 hours). It falls apart after that, but it is never dry. Boiling...god no...we shall never speak of this again!

Please don't boil them!! You still have adequate time to smoke em, they should only take 12-14 hours in the smoker depending on the size and temp.

just this weekend i did ~20lbs of meat, 2x 5lbs butts, 1x 8lb brisket, 1x 7lb roasting chicken. the butts and the brisket i smoked for 12hrs, checking and reloading fuel every 4. the chicken i only did for about 5hrs. all meat was perfect and pulled apart nicely and with little effort.

12632d1251080257-boiling-pork-shoulder-before-smoking-img_3540.jpg

12633d1251080293-boiling-pork-shoulder-before-smoking-img_3543.jpg

IMG_3540.jpg

IMG_3543.jpg

thanks everyone. i ended up going with only 16lbs instead of 30lbs of shoulder. i smoked it for about 10 hours, and then triple wrapped it in foil and stuck it in my oven overnight at 220 degrees. woke up the next morning, and the house smelled delicious, and the meat was a tender as a bowl of soup, and as wet and succulant too. turned out amazing. thanks everyone!

Fixed that for you

Boiling broccoli, green beans, asparagus and brussel sprouts is a sin

Tell that to Harold McGee, the CIA, Thomas Keller, etc.

Don't suppose you would care to describe your method and explain how it is better than boiling in large quantities of salted water?

I boil that stuff but expected the 'steaming is better' sentiment. But when remilard speaks I generally listen. Didn't know who Harold McGee was but I did a quick search and he has the science to back up his claim that some leafy green stuff is better when boiled. I've had several meals @ Keller's Bouchon in Las Vegas and it's very good.

So if this McGee guy, the Culinary Intstitute of America, and Thomas Keller all agree on something...that's some strong endorsement imo. Boiled broccoli ftw. Brussels no matter what you do to them ftl.:D

EDIT: the short version is that there are acids in these vegetables that can adversely affect the quality of the final, cooked product. If you steam them, all those acids work at pretty much full strength but if you boil them these acids are diluted and can't do as much harm. You're more likely to get ugly, army green veggies by steaming than by boiling. Note remilard was careful to say 'large quantities of salted water'.

I immediately thought of 'Chef' in 'Apocalypse Now' when I read the title, and although not of the actual scene referenced, the thought of 'The Horror' was appropriate. :p

Tell that to Harold McGee, the CIA, Thomas Keller, etc.

Don't suppose you would care to describe your method and explain how it is better than boiling in large quantities of salted water?

Broccoli
Steamed over salted water

Green beans
Sauted in garlic and olive oil

Asparagus
Sauted in garlic and olive oil

Brussel Sprouts
Baked with onion, olive oil

All seasoned with salt and pepper

The CIA can GFY

The CIA is a joke anymore. They have been just riding on the name and that will only last so much longer.

Back