Is it even possible that the fermentation could have started and finished in 1 day?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevorino

Reaction score
I oxygenated and pitched my starter of German Kolsch yeast into my 1.052 American Wheat batch this morning at 8am. Started it at 63 and let it warm up as it needed. I get home and it's warmed up to 64 degrees. There is a HUGE yeast cake on the bottom and some sediment that went through my blowoff tube. No more bubbles in the airlock already.

Is a kolsch yeast a bottom fermenting yeast or has this thing already finished? There is nothing on the top of this batch. Airlock hasn't moved since I got home.

I brewed a pale ale at 1.051 on Friday night and pitched a large starter of washed yeast cake from my last brew late-night at around 60 degrees F, and had airlock bubbles by bedtime at 1:30am. The temp fluctuated throughout the 60's for the next day and a half. By Sunday evening, 8pm, I was at 1.012 with zero airlock activity. By this morning (Monday 8am) the krausen was nearly gone. I drank the gravity sample, and other than being extremely green at 3 days old, it was fine, no off flavors to speak of. I'd advise taking a hydrometer reading and if you're close to your FG, you'll know for sure that you're done. Sounds like your starter was healthy and super viable and made quick work of things.

I brewed a pale ale at 1.051 on Friday night and pitched a large starter of washed yeast cake from my last brew late-night at around 60 degrees F, and had airlock bubbles by bedtime at 1:30am. The temp fluctuated throughout the 60's for the next day and a half. By Sunday evening, 8pm, I was at 1.012 with zero airlock activity. By this morning (Monday 8am) the krausen was nearly gone. I drank the gravity sample, and other than being extremely green at 3 days old, it was fine, no off flavors to speak of. I'd advise taking a hydrometer reading and if you're close to your FG, you'll know for sure that you're done. Sounds like your starter was healthy and super viable and made quick work of things.

That's what I'm thinking too-- that's just super fast... it was literally less than 12 hours.

I've never had one go that fast unless it's an existing cake. It's entirely possible, of course, but it's also quite possible that it's stalled...which, when you're blowing off all that happy yeast through the blowoff tube, isn't unlikely.

Use the hydrometer. Also, just because there are no bubbles, even if fer has finished, at 12 hours the yeast have alot of cleaning up to do. Leave it alone 14 days. check gravity. repeat as nessesary.

Checked the hydro -- it's at 1.042, hahahahhaha

I shook it up, reoxygenated lightly, and rose the temperature to 66 -- let's hope that wakes those yeasties.

Checked the hydro -- it's at 1.042, hahahahhaha

I shook it up, reoxygenated lightly, and rose the temperature to 66 -- let's hope that wakes those yeasties.

Yeah, good luck wit dat. :eek: My experience has always been that stalled fermentations don't restart by stirring, etc. YMMV, but I suspect you'll have to dump it onto another cake to finish it out.

Yeah, good luck wit dat. :eek: My experience has always been that stalled fermentations don't restart by stirring, etc. YMMV, but I suspect you'll have to dump it onto another cake to finish it out.

It was working this morning at 66 -- big head of krausen on it. Let's hope it's still going strong when I get home. I'd hate to raise it much more to get it going again....65 was the temp I wanted to hit all along.

Latest posts

Back