Munich Helles-yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andre the giant

Reaction score
OK, I've found at least a dozen recipes for Helles, and it seems that every single one of them calls for a different type of yeast. One calls for WY2206 Bavarian Lager (I think I got that right), another calls for German Pilsner yeast, another calls for Kolsh yeast, and ale yeasts, and on and on...

I'm thinking that Helles has to be a lager, and that the Bavarian Lager yeast might be the best bet.

What think ye?

Also, most recipes I've seen show Pilsner malt as the main ingredient, with smaller amounts of Vienna or Munich malt, and Cara-pils. Does that sound right?

Thanks

I just did a Helles that I used WLP838 German SOuthern Lager. It's still in primary at the moment so can't tell you how it came out. IIRC this WL yeast is comparable to the Bavarian Lager from Wyeast but don't quote me on it.

I would have said at least 90%, if not 100% pils malt, and you can supplement that with whatever.

Any well attenuating lager yeast is good. So, Bavarian as aposed to Bohemian; helles is an easy drinking everyday lager so something up at 75%. I enjoy great results with WLP802.

I did recipe from Beer Captured Hofbrauhaus Hell couple times which turned out Great (I think). It calls for Wyeast 2124 Bohemian lager.

If it says Koelsch, ale, bohemian, Czech or pils/pilsner/pilsener, it's not the optimum yeast.

It'll still make great beer, but it won't be a Helles.

The last couple batches I brewed were a Helles, attempting something like a Spaten. The first was 30% Munich/70% Pils, turned out a little too malty. Next was 25% Vienna/75% Pils., found what I was looking for. Here is the rundown for the second batch:

5.5 Gallons

75% Pils, Weyermann (6lbs.)
25% Vienna, Weyermann (2lbs.)
Double Decoction Mash

.3 Nugget, 13.8%AA (Boil)
.6oz Hallertauer, Domestic (15min.)
.6oz Hallertauer, Domestic (Flameout)

Wyeast Bav. Yeast

O.G.: 1.048, Calculated IBU's: 21.4

Currently drinking this and it is great. If I wanted to go the extra mile would have used all noble/imported hops. My next brew I am planning is another Helles but don't have any Vienna, however have plenty of dark Munich. Thinking on just using 10% dark Munich but still don't think it can quite replace the malty softness of Vienna.

Back