add grains boiled separately?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryan_howard

Reaction score
I'm planning a basic stout batch. But I want to put a small portion of it into a separate bucket after boiling and add chocolate malt that's been mashed and boiled separately. Any reason I couldn't do this?

I've split batches before to add fruits and extracts, but never thought of manipulating grains this way.

Thoughts?

I'm planning a basic stout batch. But I want to put a small portion of it into a separate bucket after boiling and add chocolate malt that's been mashed and boiled separately. Any reason I couldn't do this?

I've split batches before to add fruits and extracts, but never thought of manipulating grains this way.

Thoughts?

You're not going to be able to mash chocolate malt by itself. No diastatic power. It needs some base malt to convert it. You can steep it for flavor though.

Cat - thanks. Just found this article and it helped explain that to me:

http://beersmith.com/blog/2010/01/04/diastatic-power-and-mashing-your-beer/

Would you recommend just steeping or maybe including some German Wheat Malt? (ratio?)

I've never liked just steeping grains. It's easy to throw in enough base malt to provide the enzymes to get some conversion going. I feel that helps me get more character out of my specialty grains as well. Not sure if that's true, but I feel like it is. You just have to watch your temperatures a little more closely.

Would this additional grain need to be brought to boil for sanitation purposes? Or would 30-60 minutes mashing be good enough? I'm thinking of prepping this the day before and having it ready.

Would this additional grain need to be brought to boil for sanitation purposes? Or would 30-60 minutes mashing be good enough? I'm thinking of prepping this the day before and having it ready.

NEVER boil ANY grain! You want to mash your grain and then boil the liquid that comes off it. Seperate the grain from the liquid before the boil.

Right, I was thinking that too.

I'm probably going to prepare this the day before since it's a group brew, then put it in the fridge. Should be fine for 24 hours.

Latest posts

Back