Using belgian candi syrup in a Dubbel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghart999

Reaction score
Hi all. Doing my first dubbel. Doing Jamil's recipe. It calls for .5 lb table sugar and .75 lb Dark Candi Syrup. I bought the syrup. However, one of the top home brewers that was at the shop said the stuff is extremely strong flavored and take a long time to ferment out. He suggested .25lb of the syrup and use .50lb amber hard candi. Thoughts? I haven't used the syrup before. I would really like this to be drinkable quick and not needing to sit in secondary forever.

Its the same syrup Northern Brewer sells.

Thoughts???

I have heard of people getting good results using 2 bottles of the syrup, which is 3#. I would personally use an entire bottle in a dubbel, and compensate with making a simpler grain bill.

He's full of it. It will ferment out quick. It taste great, and the hard rock have very little flavor to them. Plus the syrup is much more like the products used Abby breweries.

I don't think it matters how long is takes to ferment out.

For a Dubbel you should be keeping it in your primary for at least a month anyway..
possibly in a secondary for another month.

fyi, in the future you could make your own belgian candi by just boilng a bit of sugar in a pot. Its really easy and about 1/10th the price.

How to make Candi Sugar - Home Brewing Wiki

Methinks that said "top homebrewer" is unworthy of said acclaim if said "top homebrewer" thinks that simple sugar like candi syrup "takes a long time to ferment out".

If he's one of the "top homebrewers" at your shop, then maybe you need to find a new shop ;)

Here is another sugar recipe.

I like this one, but then again I am partial.

20 lb of sugar and a jar of yeast nutrient

Just made some #5 up yesterday. Haven't brewed the dubbel yet, but the syrup is great. The complexity of the flavors are surprising. I think I'll be going with 1 pound. Some people use more, but if Jamil thinks it's good with 3/4, well I'll just up it a little cause I don't know how mine compares to the D2. Aww hell maybe I'll throw it all in I don't know.

Methinks that said "top homebrewer" is unworthy of said acclaim if said "top homebrewer" thinks that simple sugar like candi syrup "takes a long time to ferment out".

If he's one of the "top homebrewers" at your shop, then maybe you need to find a new shop ;)

Well he makes his own candi syrup because he thinks the stuff I got sucks.

He's won 17 best of shows so I do think he knows his stuff.

Also the recipes are for making hard candi. Isn't there supposed to be a huge diff between syrup and hard candi?

Also the recipes are for making hard candi. Isn't there supposed to be a huge diff between syrup and hard candi?

The syrup has much more flavors and complexity. Well, Snicks syrup anyway. I'm not to sure about a simple invert syrup.

Hey thanks hammacks. It's real nice to hear that other people are trying it and really liking it.

Back