Bottling Emergency!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgull8502

Reaction score
So I've added the priming sugar, filled and capped a few bottles, and BAM!: the capper breaks! I knew it seemed cheap!

I'm trying to get in touch with a friend who has one, but he may not be home.

What should I do if he's not around?

P.S. I've attempted to super glue it together again... but my hopes are not high.

If you can't get your hands on a capper very soon you will probably have to let the remaining beer ferment for a week or so and bottle after it has eaten through the priming sugar.

First, RDWHAB. ;-)

My advice is to leave the beer in the bottling bucket and wait until you can source another capper. When you're next ready to bottle, maybe add DME instead of sugar to avoid any off-flavors from the additional sugar (really should *not* be a problem though).

Yeah, I definitely need to put another in the fridge. My cat knocked over my last one! It's been that kind of night.

Can you get the bottling bucket someplace cold? You don't have your location in your signature, so I am not sure where you are. If you are somewhere cold (like me) cover the bucket tightly and get it as cold as possible without freezing (e.g., my garage is about 0 degrees right now). The yeast won't have much of a chance to ferment the sugar before it gets too cold, and it should be fine to store it for a few days until you get a capper.

On the other hand, if you live in Canada, have you checked a grocery store yet? Almost all of them up here sell cheap beer kits and basic equipment, like cappers.

It's 28 out right now, and usually gets that low during the nights. How long can I leave it without freezing.

I'm pretty sure my grocery store won't sell them though... maybe I'll check online.

28 F is just below freezing. Given that there is alcohol in the beer, I bet it won't freeze at all.

Place a bottle in a plastic container, unscrew the bell from the capper, place a cap on the bottle, place the bell on cap, hold bell and tap lightly with a hammer to close cap.

Theoretically it'll work. Just need to be careful not to smack too hard. ;)

BTW, where the hell do you live? Maybe there's a member near by?

At 28F I'd say you're in my neck of the plains, but I can't tell by your lack of info.

Back