percentage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
how much does it vary or is there a rough average and how can i make it stronger if it is a variable

so when i bottle i take a hydrometer readinfg then one when ready and do the math! can i make it stronger or do i just have to see how it truns out ?

No, you need to take a reading before fermentation begins and one before you bottle. You should be able to adjust alcohol content when formulating a recipe, but generally not after the boil. Don't worry, there is always next batch.

is that right to find out the abv when bottling i take a hydrometer reading then just before supping take another and take it from origonal then times it by 129

oh right thanks how do i formulate my recipe i just have done what it says on the tin

No, you need to take a reading right after you brew it (and it has cooled) that gives you starting/original gravity (SG/OG are interchangeable). You take your second reading before you bottle, this gives you a final gravity (FG).

oh right thanks how do i formulate my recipe i just have done what it says on the tin

You can just use other people and modify or start from scratch. There is a bunch of software out there (Beersmith, Promash are the two most popular) with free trials. If you are just doing a kit, it should list target OG and FG so you can assume you will be getting pretty close to those values.

thanks you guys you have been a real help im only just starting but have learnt so much so far you all are a fountain of brewing knowledge and i am grateful

If you're using a kit, there are things you can add to raise the SG (and therefore the ABV) of your beer. These additions will usually change the taste of your beer to some degree - sometimes better, sometimes worse. Pretty much anything with fermentable sugar added to the recipe before fermentation will work - cane sugar, corn sugar, brown sugar, honey, molasses, fruit, etc. Most home brewing stores will also sell "booster" or brew enhancer that will raise the alchohol as well. Be careful, though - if you use too much of these your beer can get thin and cidery tasting.

thanks i think ill see how this one turns out then play around

The best way to check ABV is to drink about 9 bottles and see if Sarah Palin looks attractive yet. I know I'm going to get scolded for my sarcasm, but hopefully someone gets a laugh.:D

Back