Straining the wort before fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fett327

Reaction score
Hey all,

Im a beginner brewer with a couple batches under my belt (Kolsch and Pale Ale). In my last two batches Ive noticed a moderate hoppy pinch in the taste of the beer. Its different than the regular hop flavor you would find an an IPA or a Pale Ale. Its more of an undesirable hoppy bite in the flavor.

Im thinking that maybe this is attributed to the fact that i dont strain out any of the hops that I boil in the wort. I just put it all in a carboy to ferment. By the time i rack to the secondary, all the hop remnants stay at the bottom of the carboy with the yeast and dont get transfered over.

Do people here strain out the hops for fermentation, or just leave it in?

Have you guys noticed a difference because of this?

Thanks.

It's easier just to use a hop bag during the boil. Then you just pull the bag and no straining is required.

I have heard both schools of thought - some leave it in with zero problems and some strain.

I think if you are brewing lighter beer strain it out. Darker beer is more forgiving.

The 'hoppy bite' you're experiencing may be from greenish beer. My experience is that the bite mellows significantly with age. How long are you conditioning your beers before drinking?

I do 10-14 days primary. Then 2 weeks secondary. Then i keg it and leave it carbonating in the fridge for almost a week.

Hop bag seems like a good idea. Im definitely gonna try that for the next batch. Or maybe ill just run the wort thru a cheese cloth before it goes into the carboy.

Appreciate the advice guys.

Back