Blue Bonnet Brew Off 2016

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone know about the Spice/Herb/Vegetable beer category? I was kinda getting married the day of Bluebonnet ..

https://www.facebook.com/BluebonnetBrewoff/posts/1667731083451705

Here is the link to the results.

I'm happy to say that I placed 3rd with my American IPA entry and my Milk Stout made it to the second round.

Thanks for the link and congratulations on your medal. I'm sure IPA was a crowded field.

First dark euro lager
Second APA
Second specialty ipa
Third brewer of the year

A good start to the circuit I think.

What a haul. Wow! Congratulations.

Thanks for the link and congratulations on your medal. I'm sure IPA was a crowded field.

It usually is a crowded field so I was not expecting much with my IPA entry. The beer was an All Grain Zombie Dust clone from Northern Brewer.

I've never had a ZD but it sure sounds good with all that Citra.

Just perusing the medalists now.

Looks like I was teetering between Very Good and Excellent. Got a 36 and a 38 for my Coffee Porter.

My coffee saison got completely shut down in the SHV category because it tasted too much like coffee and not enough like saison. I need to read the rules and scoresheets better.

I was pleased that one of my beers, my Scottish Export, got 3rd in its category. My first medal. Total results are below.

Avg Scores
Munich Dunkel: 38.5
Scottish Export: 39 (1st round), 39.5 (2nd round)
American Stout: 40 (1st round), 35 (2nd round, more on this below)
Barely Wine: 35
Cherry Mead: 29 (more below)

Gotta say, I thought if any of my stuff got a medal, it would be the stout. It is delicious. After reading the judge's score sheets, I was even more disappointed. I had one repeat judge between the first and second rounds. He praised it the first round and gave it a 39. The second round he wasn't as impressed and gave it a 32. Out of the 4 score sheets I got for that beer, that 32 was the one outlier. Scores were 38, 39, 41 and 32. Most comments said I needed more hop bitterness. I think I'll try to enter it into another stout category for the next competition to see how it fairs.

And I goofed on my cherry mead. Apparently I forgot to specify the sweetness. I got docked 5 points for that. Lesson learned! Also, both judges said it was fantastic to drink, with one even saying they would serve it at dinner. They both felt it was more like a wine than a mead. I'm just not sure where to classify it next time.

In general, I got some good consistent feedback that is going to help inform my next iteration of these beers. They're not perfect, yet :) Hope everyone that entered got the same and had a good time in the process.

I guess I just need to get this off my chest. I'll have to say I was somewhat disappointed, but I do know there is some tough competition here. My double ipa scored a 41 in second round, that is far as it went. I'm assuming a lot of entrees. The judges had nothing to say but good things about this beer. Anyway I'll just keep on a brewing.

I guess I just need to get this off my chest. I'll have to say I was somewhat disappointed, but I do know there is some tough competition here. My double ipa scored a 41 in second round, that is far as it went. I'm assuming a lot of entrees. The judges had nothing to say but good things about this beer. Anyway I'll just keep on a brewing.

I wouldn't read much into it. Once you get into the 40 point range it really comes down to preference. I didn't get anything but great notes on my Helles a few years back but it only got 3rd. Same with my porter that got 2nd. In fact the porter (robust) was beat out by a Baltic Porter, so I take solace that I had the highest ranked robust porter. The Helles was best by another Helles and an export.

Both of those categories are typically a lot less congested than the IPA and imperial IPA categories.

My saison got an average of 39 in round 1, but only 32.5 in round 2. Oh well. Got really good feedback on my quad. It wasn't complex enough for the judges, but both sheets had a comment that it was well made.

I really should go through the trouble to enter someday. I could care less about winning, I'd love to get consistent feedback.

I really should go through the trouble to enter someday. I could care less about winning, I'd love to get consistent feedback.

Getting feedback can help on multiple levels.

2 of the beers that I entered and made it to the second round were published recipes. The one was actually an All grain kit from Northern Brewer.

So my take away from those two entries is that I must have some pretty good technique because I'm using a recipe that is considered to be a good recipe.

The other beers that I entered where recipes that I developed myself. Those recipes scored in the 30's with the major comments being that I was not quite to style. So with those recipes, I have to decide do I like them the way they are or do I want to tweek them some to get them more in style.

I had one judge detect some off flavors so I need to see if I detect them also.

https://www.facebook.com/BluebonnetBrewoff/posts/1667731083451705

Here is the link to the results.

I'm happy to say that I placed 3rd with my American IPA entry and my Milk Stout made it to the second round.

Congrats on your BBO medal! Mine was the 2nd place winner in AIPA and was a complete shocker!! I was telling folks at the table that there was no way I was going to place in the American IPA category... :mug:

My Pale Ale also went to second round but my Imperial Stout did nada.

Congrats, all, on the fantastic beer and hardware! I have the breakdown by BBO style vs number of entries, as it was shared with me. I have no idea of the accuracy of the report, but have no reason to believe otherwise. I'll post once the data has been confirmed by a second source.

Anyone else submit a Wheat Wine. There were only two submissions and one of them was mine.

My average score was a 32. Let me know what you got and we can at least say we had either the highest or second highest scoring Wheat Wine in the competition :):)

Anyone else submit a Wheat Wine. There were only two submissions and one of them was mine.

My average score was a 32. Let me know what you got and we can at least say we had either the highest or second highest scoring Wheat Wine in the competition :):)

Well shoot. I had a wheat wine in the keg. Now I'm really mad I didn't go through the trouble.

Back