Any Professional Firefighters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dexter_craig

Reaction score
13 year career firefighter here in South St. Louis County (Mehlville).
Just wondering if there are any more of us 'Brothers' here.

Was a volunteer firefighter/EMT for 5 years in Ohio. This time of year was always the worst as people do stupid things to stay warm.

Here to you guys! :mug:

I am a firefighter in California. I work for the State Fire Dept., Cal-Fire. I've been on the job for ten years, I'm an Engineer, and I love it. There are only two things I love more than brewing, my family and firefighting. Glad to hear that there are others on the forum. Any others? Take care, perhaps a firefighter beer swap is in order?

Cheers

I put on the Bunker gear once a year, as a ERT Member. I work in a gas plant, and its a requirement that we are trained just in case......

Not paid but 25+ yrs as a volunteer. I'm pretty much at the point where I stick to the fund raising side of the house and let the young bucks go eat smoke. When I started OSHA didn't exist and we still got to ride in harness on the back step of the trucks to calls. Ah, such fun at 20 below in the winter.:ban:

I don't ride the trucks anymore but still on the job with 31 years under the belt. I now answer 911 and 7 digit lines and tell the others where to go as a fire dispatcher. I work in a rural area with a small population compared to most of you but we cover many square miles and numerous towns.

Doug

Dispatcher myself...have been for the last 4 years. We have 14 City stations and 5 County Departments we dispatch for along with City Police and Sheriff Dept.
I love my job.

MAOEMT-B and NREMT-B in Southern NH and the Metro-North Area of Boston. As of 1/16/08 I will be interning with the Emergency Services Dept of the Greater Manchester chapter of the American Red Cross. Pretty good stuff.

Great to here from you all!
The best job in the world I say. I get a kick out of going to the kids school and talking to there class about fire safety. They think I'm the coolest dad!
Anyway- I just started the first batch and it is now in primary so I hope all goes well in about 2 weeks.

"Professional" firefighter here, of the Wildland variety. USFS, going on my 11th year. Been to 37 states on different fires. Several seasons on hotshot crews, rapelled for a year, engine captian for a while...
Never figured my first post to a beer forum owould be about firefighting!

Welcome Zac, what state do you work in? I work with the USFS quite a bit, I work for CDF (Cal-Fire). Glad to hear from ya. This is a great site, hope you enjoy it.

Cheers

Was a Volunteer Firefighter when I was 18. But I moved on to a job that payed a little better. But when 911 hit, I seriously reconsidered my career and almost quit construction to be a firefighter.

surfbrewer:
I have a house & family farm in Va, but it seems like the state i spend the least of my time in! I've worked with abunch of ya'll Coffee, Donuts & Fun guys. Some dang good guys. I was in Idaho this past summer with a young guy from the CDF, heck of a good guy, good attitude. I can say if I was in Cali, i'd prolly drop the USFS like a hot rock, but its the only show in town in my neck of the woods.

Cheers

Hey Guys,

Six year EMT-B. Rookie year as a Volunteer Firefighter, with many years to go.

Jay

If you guys watch the last NH debates on Jan 6th before the Jan 8th NH primary, my crew is going to be doing the EMS standby for it. Gotta love my bs college volly service. They pay for all of your CEU hours, pay for pointless trips to national conferences (Philly this yr!) and allow you to yuk it up with political bigwigs!

So far I have met politicians and media personnel from all over the country and the world including Sen. Joe Biden, Gov. Bill Richardson, Rep. Dennis Kucinich, Peter Beinart, as well as others :ban:

I'm not a firefighter, but my father is a retired professional firefighter. He retired as a Captain, but did time as Fire Marshall and Deputy Chief. He didn't care too much for the paper-pushing positions and returned to the station to finish out his career. I have tons of respect for the men and women that wear the uniforms. Growing up the child of a civil servant, you learn that you guys don't get paid anywhere near what you are worth. Thanks for putting yourself on the line to keep us all safe.

EMT-B now for about 6 mos :)D), currently going through the Paramedic program here in Gainesville. Lots of fun, lots of crap to remember. Looking to get hired now as an EMT-B while I finish up my medic and move up from there. Getting my fire later, hopefully after I'm hired when the Department will pay for it and pay me for going, lol.

Loving it so far!

20 years as a volunteer. Captain for the last 9.
Somehow I made it to the top of the seniority list this year.

jay_mack1 said:
Ready to stock the: INTERNATIONAL HARVESTER FRIDGE - KEG MACHINE

Jay

Hey!.. I'm not the only one with an IH kegerator!
displayimage.php

Driver/Engineer/EMT with 19 years professional service. Been getting my back rehabed for the past 3 months and will get back in saddle so to speak on the old rescue truck. I'll be taking a Fire Inspector/Investigator test coming up soon and hopefully get off the rescue truck. The body has taken it's toll over the past 19 years, and I'm ready for something not quite as stressful.

Back