Deschutes brewery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glynn

Reaction score
So deschutes just debuted here in Chicago and my local store has black butte porter, red chair nwpa, mirror pond pale and chainbreaker white ipa. I picked up a sixer of nwpa, it's pretty good and the price is nice at 7.99 a six

Those are all good, I first started drinking Mirror Pond in college, Black Butte is a great Porter. Chainbreaker is really good also...but different as it is a Belgian white IPA, so it may not suit all tastes.

Black Butte Porter was somewhat of a gateway beer for me. It's the first porter that I ever tried.

Chainbreaker is a nice beer. Really like it.

Seriously? Nobody has commented on Red Chair yet? Red Chair is awesome, as is most coming out of Deschutes.

Can't go wrong w/anything from Deschutes.

My thoughts exactly. One of the few that you know if they make it, you'll like it.

Seriously? Nobody has commented on Red Chair yet? Red Chair is awesome, as is most coming out of Deschutes.

I've never seen it, but if I do I will try it for sure.

Black Butte is my favorite homebrew to have on hand, and if I'm picking up a six pack, it's probably going to be what I get.

Obsidian stout is pretty good also.

Anything by them is good. Red Chair is one of my favorites and we have brewed the clone from AHS multiple times.

Well it's Deschutes and two people are raving about red chair. If I can't find it I may have to see if the store can get some. They carry deschutes anyway.

All this talk, I need to get to the Deschutes brew pub in Portland.
I just checked and they have 10 beers on tap, one tap for experimental beer, and some others on tap that I've never had!

Driving three hours to Portland for Rouge wasn't worth it to me, but for Deschutes, it would have to be a winner!

Deschutes normal line up is pretty good but the special releases are where it is at. Get some Abyss, Dissident, Black Butte XXIV etc...... If they send any of those I would swoop them up.

45_70sharps said:
Well it's Deschutes and two people are raving about red chair. If I can't find it I may have to see if the store can get some. They carry deschutes anyway.

I just checked and they have 10 beers on tap, one tap for experimental beer, and some others on tap that I've never had!

Driving three hours to Portland for Rouge wasn't worth it to me, but for Deschutes, it would have to be a winner!

Bend is better but Portland is good as well.

Actually, 21 beers on tap, and they have a lot on tap that isn't bottled and distributed. The food is OK, but overpriced.
Also, there is no Rouge brewery in Newport or Portland, but there is a Rogue.

Agree on food being overpriced. Apps and beer is where it's at there.

Rogue, rogue brewing. Same ****.

I can't wait to get Red Chair when it gets here so I can compare it to mine. It is delicious

In 2008 I took a road trip to Seattle, from Los Angeles. I stopped at a place I think in Salem, OR, called McMenamin's (there are multiple locations throughout Oregon, as I understand it). I had started drinking somewhat recently and only liked a few beers, but I tried something different every time I got a chance (still my policy, but not possible as often now, obviously). At this microbrew I got a taster of 6 different drinks and they were all SO good. I don't remember what they were, just that they were all good, and they were among my first beers that seemed 'real'. Man I want to go back someday...

Black Butte Porter- cask conditioned from the source in Bend, Oregon is the best beer I have ever had... hands down- no other beer is even close... I make a special trip there- several hours away- just for that amazing experience...

45_70sharps said:
Portland is as far as I drive just for a beer.
Anything much over three hours one way is just silly for a beer!

I'm on my phone and can't see where your at. I'm assuming up north.

Either way, I highly recommend taking a vacation and going to bend for a week or so an doing the bend ale trail or at least visiting as many of the breweries down there as you can.

My wife and I did the ale trail in 3 days on our honeymoon in August.

bzwyatt said:
In 2008 I took a road trip to Seattle, from Los Angeles. I stopped at a place I think in Salem, OR, called McMenamin's (there are multiple locations throughout Oregon, as I understand it). I had started drinking somewhat recently and only liked a few beers, but I tried something different every time I got a chance (still my policy, but not possible as often now, obviously). At this microbrew I got a taster of 6 different drinks and they were all SO good. I don't remember what they were, just that they were all good, and they were among my first beers that seemed 'real'. Man I want to go back someday...

Mcmenamins is spread out throughout the Portland area and up the I5 corridor into Washington a ways. I have 2 within 5 minutes from where I live and go to both regularly.

Not the best beer in the world but iirc they brew on a 10 barrel system at both locations and the brewers have a lot of freedom. This is good because there are 1 or 2 new beers on tap every time I go! Foods good for the price as well.

I'm on my phone and can't see where your at. I'm assuming up north.

Either way, I highly recommend taking a vacation and going to bend for a week or so an doing the bend ale trail or at least visiting as many of the breweries down there as you can.

My wife and I did the ale trail in 3 days on our honeymoon in August.

North and West. Raymond Washington.
It's a little hard for me to have a beer vacation since I'm a single dad.
I can make the Portland run as a day trip when I get a day.

I'll have to keep it in mind though.
It's been nearly 25 years since I was in Bend after all.

About the time they opened up.

Visiting the birth place of Black Butte would be a special experience!

Ahh completely understand. Keep in mind it is a great place for outdoor family-friendly activities as well. Maybe take a trip with your kid and some friends with kids and do various things during the day and hit a brewpub for dinner and a beer at night?

I do like the Obsidian stout!
Not in the same league as Black Butte, but if they didn't make Black Butte, Obsidian might very well be my favorite beer.

Red chair won best beer in the world for 2012. I look forward to picking some up next weekend for my birthday.

Those are all good, I first started drinking Mirror Pond in college, Black Butte is a great Porter. Chainbreaker is really good also...but different as it is a Belgian white IPA, so it may not suit all tastes.

Mirror Pond is what got me into craft beer back when I was in college too.

I'm a huge fan of the porter and stout pretty much I like every brew they have at the local stores I will keep my eye for this Red Chair you speak of. Haven't seen it anywhere

Starting the morning off right while cleaning the garage out.

image-3748870196.jpg

RandomBeerGuy said:
pdx - what store had this in vancouver

Fred Meyers. Just go to Deschutes website and go to the page for the red chair. Then click the button find this beer.

Fred Meyers. Just go to Deschutes website and go to the page for the red chair. Then click the button find this beer.

Cool. I never noticed their beer finder before.
I've got a drive ahead of me today.
Now I know where to stop!

Thanks.

I used the beer finder on the web site and now have a half case of red chair for when I get home!
It's not available near me, but it didn't take much of a detour on today's drive to get some.

Red chair is very nice.
Different. Nice hop flavor without a lot of bitter or aroma.
Refreshing and different.

It would make a nice regular instead of a seasonal.

Back