What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I sat there... Staring at my Caribou Slobber that I bottled on Saturday thinking that waiting for beer to bottle condition s*cks, and wishing I had started home brewing earlier in life.

This followed me home after work. Can I keep it?

image-3708373603.jpg

Sittin here waiting for the PM cascade pale ale I pitched on last night to start blowin off. I like havin my fermenter stand next to the comp hutch.

Planned out my brew calendar for the rest of the year:

Weizendoppelbock
Dunkelweizen
Christmas Ale (based on Jamil's recipe)
Irish Red Ale
English Pale Ale/ESB
Chocolate Porter

I'm going to be gone for three of those weeks, so one or two batches might get pushed into 2013...we'll see. If I get them all in I'll be at I'm aiming to make the Chocolate Porter my New Year's Day brew.

I brewed up my first non-mr beer kit, a 5 gallon irish stout. Gotta say, love my new hobby.

P.s
HBT is easily the greatest resource for miscellaneous information, you guys rule!

I bought three fermentation buckets, 6 lbs pale crystal malt, 2 lbs crystal malt today.

The cashier had a brainfart and gave me ~29$ in change instead of ~14$, I pointed out the error instead of taking the ~25% discount.

Yesterday I picked up some specialty grains for today's brew day, a California Common.

Yesterday my faith in humanity was restored when my yeast starter actually worked! I had been 0/2 my last couple attempts. I think I've officially given up buying liquid yeast locally.

I bottled my Belgian Golden Strong, and brewed a West Coast IPA. Took forever to get to pitching temps, though the room got too cold (60) overnight. Hoping I get some activity today.

Racked my foreign extra stout to secondary, it tastes amazing! Also, put the starter for my weizendoppelbock in the fridge, hoping most of the yeast will settle out before I pitch tonight. Thought it's a hefe yeast, so I'm sure some of it will remain in suspension.

I got off easy today. All I had to do was throw a pack of yeast in the frige that came in the mail and pull the tap a few times.

Just ordered a couple of more pounds, 2012 Centennial and Simcoe leaf, I need a more confusing password to my Paypal account

Well right now it's just a pretty basic milk stout recipe except with hefeweizen yeast but I'm planning to add actual bananas in the secondary if it seems appropriate and everything goes well. How did you do yours?

Guden said:
Well right now it's just a pretty basic milk stout recipe except with hefeweizen yeast but I'm planning to add actual bananas in the secondary if it seems appropriate and everything goes well. How did you do yours?

I tried doing that with WL300. I didn't care for it very much, though I didn't add any bananas. Kind of reminded me of a Belgian dubbel.

I also did mine with WLP300, but also added some vanilla beans soaked in vodka and 4 oz of ground cacao nibs to secondary. It still needs some time mellow out (only been in the bottle 3 weeks), but it's got potential. I also intentionally underpitched and fermented at a higher temp to really get the banana character.

Cleaned and sanitized 2 kegs, kegged an IPA, and kicked a keg that I didn't realize was so close to empty. Now I have no homebrewed IPA for a few days until this one carbs up.

Today (yesterday) I redneck engineered a E-mash BIAB system and brewed a hybrid cream ale that I know is going to be awesome.

I made a couple starters for my big Belgian quad and my first lager, a schwarzbier. Also organized and took stock of my specialty grains. Made plans and developed recipes for my next beers, the Fellowship Series: nine beers, each named for a member of Frodo's fellowship from LOTR

This is a delayed post from Saturday, since I usually avoid my computer on the weekends:

Brewed my weizendoppelbock, which is now bubbling away happily at 62F. I'm leaving for a month, when I get back it's going to be amazing!

^^^Were those worms thunderstruck per chance? :D
Or did you get your recipe from anthony Zimmern? He's the guy on youtube that eats all that bizzar stuff around the world.

I became a premium supporter of the website! (that was actually last week)....And Ordered supplies for my next big beer!

Back