Bending Copper tubing advice on dehumidifier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJC16

Reaction score
I have an old dehumidifier that I have taken apart and want to put in to my fermentation chamber. I have to bend some of the tubing, which I will do very carefully, but if there is anything around the house I can use like a can of food, but I might need something even a little smaller.

Thanks

You can go to Home Depot and get a tool for bending copper for like $2.00 looks like a spring that is wound tight with a flanged end that keeps the tube from kinking.

You can go to Home Depot and get a tool for bending copper for like $2.00 looks like a spring that is wound tight with a flanged end that keeps the tube from kinking.

I have looked at that, but I have no way to get the spring to my desired spot, the tube I need to bend is in the middle of the dehumidifier.

There is a small tubing bender tool made by Rigid that Home Depot has. It's a little pricey at about $35 IIRC and it requires some working room, so depending on how much space you have to work with, it may or may not work.

I have no idea how to safely bend the tube, but just to make sure, you know that a dehumidifier is a heater, right? It chills the coils on the dehumidifying side by having hot coils on the other side. Thanks to the laws of thermodynamics, it puts out a significant amount of heat.

So your fridge/freezer/whatever chills the chamber will have to work twice as hard to maintain the same temp....

Just an FYI. If you already knew, my bad. If you didn't, ever consider using DampRid or the pool store cheapie equivalent?

I have no idea how to safely bend the tube, but just to make sure, you know that a dehumidifier is a heater, right? It chills the coils on the dehumidifying side by having hot coils on the other side. Thanks to the laws of thermodynamics, it puts out a significant amount of heat.

So your fridge/freezer/whatever chills the chamber will have to work twice as hard to maintain the same temp....

Just an FYI. If you already knew, my bad. If you didn't, ever consider using DampRid or the pool store cheapie equivalent?

I am planning on doing this:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/dehumidifier-powered-fermentation-chamber-134315/

I am planning on splitting the hot and cold sides, and using the cold side to cool the fermentation chamber.

How about using a 90 instead? Enough room to work? Bending tubing that small without a tubing bender could spell kinkage.

How about using a 90 instead? Enough room to work? Bending tubing that small without a tubing bender could spell kinkage.

What is a 90? I also have included a picture.

2011-07-20_22-05-14_756.jpg

2011-07-24_14-32-31_538.jpg

This is where I am at, I have to purchase two 250mm to go over the radiators and some foam spray to fill in the cracks, I think it will work great

Back