Choosing a chest freezer for a keezer build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeppman

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Quick question... Do I need to look for a certain type of chest freezer to modify into a Keezer? I want to make sure that I can swap out the temp control on the freezer that I will buy. Is it just as easy as removing the factory installed temp control and replacing it with a third party control?

Thank you.

I you make or buy or have something like a johnson controller or something similar, the freezer plugs into the controller, which plugs into the wall. There is no wiring involved.

Dude...it's simpler than that. It doesn't matter which freezer you buy. Buy what will serve your purposes best. I bought a 7.0 cubic foot freezer from Lowes for around 180 bucks. As for a temp controller, there are a bunch to choose from. I bought mine from Auberins. I bought the temp controller and temp probe. Then hooked it up in the middle of a heavy guage extension cord. Insert the cord in the keezer. The controller to the outside. Then, plugged extension cord into the wall, then freezer to the other end of the extension cord. Now you have a temp controller and didn't have to augment your freezer.
See this thread---https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/how-wire-auber-syl-2362a2-pid-fridge-157513/

Also, I wouldn't buy that specific controller. The amperage is wrong. If you call Auber, they will help you pick the right one.

I like the Dwyer Love Controllers for temp. control. I built a coffin keezer, so I wanted one controller with two temperature probes controlling two seperate plugs (dual input/dual output). I went with the TSS2 controller, but you can find any application that you want with the Love Controls (one input/one output, one input/two outputs, etc., etc.) One of the probes is in the chest freezer to control power to the plug that the freezer compressor plugs into and the other is in my coffin to control the power to the plug that my Inductor fans plug in to for circulating cold air through the coffin to keep my beer lines/shanks cold.

External temperature controllers are simple to build and you do not need to remove existing temperature probes/thermostats/etc. from the freezer. Just set the freezer at it's lowes setting, plug it into a seperate plug controlled by the temperature controller and the controller takes care of the rest. Simple and easly. Good luck! If you decide to build a coffin keezer check out my thread and let me know if I can help. :mug:

Ok... so the idea is to overide the factory installed controller? not replace it? Thanks!

Thanks for all the input everyone.

Had another question. I stumbled upon a CL ad. Here is the freezer:

http://products.geappliances.com/MarketingObjectRetrieval/Dispatcher?RequestType=PDF&Name=311158.pdf

The guy told me the inside dimensions were 32*15*26, which seems a little off to me, but I'm not an expert by any means. If those are the correct inside dimensions, would this hold at least 3 corny kegs? The seller told me there was no hump inside... which I also find strange.. I'm not sure if I should bother finding a truck and a buddy to make the 40 min drive to check it out. Opinions?

You can get a Ranco or Johnson from various online suppliers all prewired and ready to go. Just plug and play.

Whatever chest freezer you think you need, get one bigger. You will thank yourself for it later when you get a couple more kegs or want to lager a brew.
As for the temp control I would try THIS first and you wont even need to buy a temp controller.

Latest posts

Back