Heavy fermentation w/in 12 hours, but now no head at 48 hours

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billn3

Reaction score
Hey guys I started my first home brew a couple of nights ago and have a question.

There was very active fermentation within 12 hours, but now I am 48 hours in and there is absolutely no head at all. I realize there isn't anything I can do if this is bad, but I would love it if someone could either tell me it's ok or let me know I screwed up.

Also, when should I move it to the second carboy?

Thanks so much!
:mug:

Its perfectly natural for the krausen (what you called head) to fall to the bottom (now called trub). In fact, that's what happens during fermentation. Visible signs of fermentation aren't the best or most accurate ways to know when fermentation is complete. You may not have any airlock activity or other visual signs and your beer is still fermenting happily.

Take gravity readings. When it doesn't drop for a few days to a week you're probably complete. So long as it hits near your target FG.

As for secondary, many brewers do not use a secondary at all, but rather leave the beer in primary for 3-4 weeks total, then bottle. That's what I do and I get clear, delicious beer. If I am dry hopping or adding things like coffee, I'll do that in my keg, or use a secondary for about a week.

No need to worry krausen will rise and fall sometimes so fast you won't even see it. There is no need to secondary if your not doing anything special like racking on fruit or dry hopping. Just leave it in the primary for 3-4 weeks then bottle or keg.

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

I have a Cherry Wheat fermenting right now that did exact same thing...quick, vigorous, and now settled way down after 2 days..and that's with liquid yeast, proper pitch temp, and temp controlled fermenting chamber at 64....

I think all brews just ferment at different rates...I have a higher abv Scottish that has been going for 2 weeks and still has visible activity...

Back