Storing Kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guinsu

Reaction score
I have a few extra kegs than I always need and I was wondering what the best way to store them for a few months was since I had a few get a little funky on me. I had been cleaning them with B-Brite, emptying them and closing them up. Should I be leaving them filled, sanitizing them or pressurizing them instead?

What I do when I empty a keg is to clean it out with oxyclean to get the yeast trub out of the bottom, then rinse it real well with hot water 3-4 times by just putting the lid on and shaking it. The last time I don't dump the water, then pressurize it with CO2 and run it out through my faucet. Before I switched to starsan, I'd store them like this (cleaned and pressurized). Now that I've got some starsan always made up I fill it with half a gal, shake it good, and run it through the faucet again so there's always some foam at the bottom and it sits there slightly pressurized with the starsan foam. At least that works for me, YMMV.

Clean, drip dry upside down with no lid. When completely dry, I leave upright with the lid on but loose and cover with a plastic shower cap to keep out dust. When I want to use it, I run hot water through and splash around some sanitizer, empty by pressure via beer out line.

Shower cap - I can't recall if I thought of that on my own or stole it from someone! :drunk:

I clean mine out with oxyclean to get the leftover yeasties out of the bottom, then rinse twice with hot water. after emptying, i fill up 1/4 - 1/3 of the keg with cold water & iodophor, swirl around to get everything, then put the lid on and pressurize with the water/iodophor still in there. then just drain when you need it, and it's good to go.

After I cash a keg I rinse it our with hot water to get any trub out of the bottom of the keg. Then I fill the keg 1/2 full with cold water and toss in a 1/2 oz. of starsan. Shake and store.

After I kill a keg I just leave it with the little bit of sediment in the bottom, still full of 12 PSI of CO2, in my basement until I need it. Then when I'm ready to use it I clean it out and sanitize it and fill.

This works very well for me. Sometimes the little bit of beer that's left in there smells sort of oxidized or something, but it's usually very easy to clean out.

What about Iodophor? Does it hurt to leave that in there? In a day or two it's not effective anymore right?

Back