Storing ingredients

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cincybrewer

Reaction score
Sorry, I'm sure this has been asked many times before and I even remember seeing a link to the answer, but for whatever reason I couldn't find it. So, I bought an extract kit that had DME, hops, dry yeast, and specialty grains. I plan to brew within the week. I know to fridge the yeast, but not sure how I should keep the other ingredients. Should i place them in the fridge or keep in the pantry? Thanks!

I would put the hops in the fridge as well. the other ingredients will be fine at room temp

Cool dark dry spot.Dont really want moisture to get in the grains,id leave em out hops you can even store in the freezer. A week is nothing to worry about.

Funny, I was just going to search on this. If I can append the OP's post... if I were to buy a 50lb bag of DME just for bulk pricing sake, are the typical larger sacks 50lb comes in resealable? If not, would I need to pack all the DME into ziplock type bags or something?

Rev.

Funny, I was just going to search on this. If I can append the OP's post... if I were to buy a 50lb bag of DME just for bulk pricing sake, are the typical larger sacks 50lb comes in resealable? If not, would I need to pack all the DME into ziplock type bags or something?

Rev.

I would use a mid sized rubbermaid and scoop,seems like a lot of work.

Okay thanks, I put it all in the fridge because I wasn't sure. I'll leave the hops and yeast in and take the rest out.

If I were to freeze the hops do you have to thaw them before throwing them in the boil?

I take the hops out at the beginning of my brew day when I am laying out the ingredients. Haven't really bothered to consider if they are still frozen or not, but the wort warms them quick enough.

just a lil somethin for this thread. I don't know anyone else's experience but anytime I have to wait to brew, I seal the ingredients up and put em in the garage ice box. i have had to wait sometimes a 2 weeks to a month before using already milled grains an they were nice a tight sitting in there. never a problem. I had some specialty grains that were sealed and put in a stainless container, there are damn near 8 months old and still taste fresh. I'll prolly just throw em in the garden for compost, but like I said they don't smell or taste stale. just thought I'de throw that in.

Latest posts

Back