Optimal Corny Height Clearance

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markhagan

Reaction score
Hello gang.

I was lucky enough to be handed a working Kenmore, stainless steel mini fridge from a family member. This mini fridge has a freezer up top which I am confident I could fold down if needed. However, I would like to avoid this if I can.

Corny kegs list as being 23". This fridge has 24.5" of room under the freezer. Is 1.5" enough room for the connections?

Thanks,
Mark

My cornies are just slightly less than 25" and take over 26" with the connectors. I'll add that the tanks are about 23", but adding the rubber base, the posts and the lid: 25"

So, if you can find cornies that are 23", you'll probably be OK.

I wonder if you could shave a bit off the bottom of the base. Not that I need to, but I suspect that there is plenty of rubber there for cushion that really doesn't need to be there.

Also, there has been some discussion on using old water-based fire extinguishers for keg. With enough work, I believe they could do the job. A bit shorter, and smaller around. They hold 2.5 gallons.

@Edcculus: Good call! I will absolutely take my time.

As a quick update, I have taken exact measurements and found that I have 24.5" of room before I hit freezer. Rather than folding the freezer down, I have decided that I will just bend the tray up the extra 1.5" that I need for clearance.

The unit I have can only hold one keg + co2 anyway, so the side of the tray with the coolant line will not get in my way as it is. I am less worried about cracking the tray than the input line.

I have removed the plastic molding on the inside of the door and am going to the hardware store tonight to purchase a sheet of marker board to cut to fit.

Thanks for the help, I will post pictures soon. I missed the premium sign-up discount, so you will have to suffer with photos linked on my server. :)

My chest freezer is 25inches deep and I have room to put a 5gal Spartan and Cornelius corny inside with ball lock connections and close the lid. there is about 1inch clearance.

I bent the top of my freezer were there were no cooling lines in and then glued it to the to top of the fridge with Liquid nails for outside use. Never touched any of the freezer that had coolant lines and gave me the inch i needed for my kegs.

Back