A couple questions about mill and puppies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnickASaurusRex

Reaction score
1. I just got my barley crusher. And the grind that it is giving me is way finer than the stuff from LHBS. It is larger than coarse corn meal, but still finer than precrushed grain. It is more like the cracked oats in the heath food isle. Should I adjust this?

2. Does anybody else have a doggie that loves brew day. My pup just gets the biggest kick out of all the activity. He is a miniature dachshund. I let him sample the grains. His favorite is torrified wheat, we play fetch during the mash and then when the wort is going into primary he loves to lick up any spills or splashes that he can get to before I do.

Most people find a finer crush increases efficiency.

My greyhounds have no interest in brew day unless I've loaded up the smoker as well. I'm certain Rusty (mini-wire hair doxie) would have been interested. He was interested in anything remotely resembling food. Including slow toes.

Please keep you puppy put of the mill! :p

My guys love the brew-day. They know that there will be some excess wort drained out of the MLT and there will be some spent grain to clean up. They also just enjoy the fact that I am outside and can play with them while brewing.

100_2811-1.jpg

There's nothing our dog doesn't like about brew day. She tends to kick back in the sunlight and keep an eye on things, waiting for any tasty grains or wort to spill. :)

3448180183_73f24c356c.jpg

Ok I know what the Corgie is, but what is the other little one?

Mutt. When we go her from the shelter, they said her mother was a Corgi, I am thinking they made that up for the most part.

Oh, and to answer your other question: I have a feeling you are just used to a very course crush. The factory pre-set on the Barely Crusher works great for me.

The first thing I thought of was a Puppy Mill. Like a grain mill, but for puppies.

What gap do you guys use on your puppy mill?

-Joe

My dog LOVES hop pellets and whole hops. She ate a bunch last week and fell asleep, and she STILL hasn't woken up!

The Barley Crusher comes pre-adjusted to .039" This is an excellent setting. I have tightened mine up a little to increase eff. a little, but the factory setting is excellent. It is much finer than your LHBS crush because they want to sell you grain, and they can sell more if your eff. sucks.

I used to buy pre-crushed grain and it is funny how the STANDARD Barley Crusher setting is much finer than any HBS I purchased from. Odd, isnt it?

Uh...did I go too far?

I shouldn't think so. My Greyhounds are the breed most susceptible to hops toxicity, and I thought it was funny. Fer Crissake, someone was talking about grinding up puppies. :D

If I had lost a dog to hops toxicity, I'd probably be quite irate, though.

My oldest Greyhound gets to sample every beer I pour. He looooooooooves hoppy English ales. If I pour one of my Ord'n'ry Bitters, he won't leave me alone.

But eating hops? Bad news. They get cookies made from spent grain, and the hops go on the compost pile (which they can't access).

Bob

Back