true brew american bock ??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcbrotz

Reaction score
I just transfered my true brew american bock to the secondary and when I tasted my normal sample (a glass) I noticed a lot of chocolate aftertaste, is there anything I can to to tone it down or will some of it subside naturaly sitting in the secondary? This is the first time I have brewed with True Brew and the first time I've done a Bock but it had a lot more chocolate taste than any other bock I've tasted before.

The flavor sample between primary and secondary differ from that of the final brew. It's really just an indicator of whether your beer is on track (not infected, or other gross problems). After the yeast do the post-ferment clean-up, you carbonate, cool, and age (for the time it takes to do all this), the flavor profile will be strikingly different. To my palate, "grainy" flavors are especially quick to fade during this period, and I'm guessing your "chocolate" is in that category. Which begs the question: what the hell is wrong with chocolate???

Which begs the question: what the hell is wrong with chocolate???[/QUOTE said:
Nothing is wrong with chocolate except when it is in my beer:D. The brew tasted good but the aftertaste was like eating a dark hershey bar. Its got another week or so in the secondary then to the bottle for three or so. I know I'll try one or two before the three is up and I'll report back then on how it tastes or shall I say aftertastes.

I'm brewing this one up today. The directions don't really give you a good timeline for how long to let this ferment or an idea of how cool "cool' should be. Any suggestions?

Back