Can you truely whirlpool with an 809

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, my rebuild is nearly done and I have been playing around with placement of my kettles whirlpool return.

Has anyone been able to form a vortex with a march 809hs? Does it matter?

What is optimum placement for the pickup and return?

I currently have the pick up coming in from the valve going down 90 deg then have another 90 soldered on to the copper facing sideways so that it "vacuums" the liquid that is spinning towards it. (ie it faces faces clockwise while the liquid spin counter clockwise).

The return is 1/2" id copper that follows the natural curve of the keggle. I'm played around with having it near the top and near the middle of the keg (hight wise) and am trying some other placements. But so far I am rather disappointed.

This is for 10g batches.

I don't even bother whirlpooling anymore - I just put a course nylon bag on the end of the output from the pump. This gets all of the hops but not much cold break. Be sure to use a course bag... the fine bags I use get clogged with break material. I use a worm drive clamp to solidly hold the bag on the end of the tube but I guess any method of clamping will work.

What is optimum placement for the pickup and return?

I use a whirlpool tank with two inlets.
Whirlpool_InLeft.jpg

This setup works the best for me.
The inlet is in the middle of the tank for less than 5 gl, above 5gl the inlet is on top of the tank.
The return is on the bottom of the tank..
Whirlpool_Inside1.jpg

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Back