Inaccessible pipe leaking into kitchen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soulive

Reaction score
Any ideas on how to fix leaks if you can't get to the source? I have leaking coming down the cabinets onto my kitchen counter, from the tub drain above it. Is there anyway to fix it without removing the cabinets and cutting open the ceiling???

Bummer, sounds like your screwed. You could always remove the tub and rip the walls out of the bathroom if your wanting to remodel anyway.:D

What's on the other side of the bathroom upstairs? It might be easier to go into the wall in the next room, or in a closet, rather than up from the kitchen ceiling.

I've generally found it more satisfying (and effective) to fix this kind of problem by picking up the phone and calling a plumber.

Pour some concrete down the tub drain. Leak will be gone !!
True, but he'll have to move the fish upstairs...;)

Only a few screws hold the cabinets to the walls and to each other. Just remove the cabinets that are under the drain.

You may be able to get away with a 1X1 hole, just enough to get a pipe wrench in there, Unscrew the drain from the pipe, reputty and replace drain if necessary. If not, assemble. ;)

I'm an ex-plumber. As several posts suggested, the leak may be coming from the conection between the overflow tube and the trap(behind the tub ). See if there is an access panel on the other side of the tub. If not grab a step ladder and make a small hole near the center of the drain (on the ceiling side below the tub). You don't have to open the ceiling where the leak is because water will flow to it's lowest point and that might not be where it's leaking from. Make nice square cuts so you can repair it easier.
Run water down the drain and see if you can see the leak. How old is your house? If it's prewar, you may have a lead connection. Replace it with PVC.

I'm assuming that it only leaks when the tub is draining. If it is always leaking then it's a supply line.

I'm an ex-plumber. As several posts suggested, the leak may be coming from the conection between the overflow tube and the trap(behind the tub ). See if there is an access panel on the other side of the tub. If not grab a step ladder and make a small hole near the center of the drain (on the ceiling side below the tub). You don't have to open the ceiling where the leak is because water will flow to it's lowest point and that might not be where it's leaking from. Make nice square cuts so you can repair it easier.
Run water down the drain and see if you can see the leak. How old is your house? If it's prewar, you may have a lead connection. Replace it with PVC.

I'm assuming that it only leaks when the tub is draining. If it is always leaking then it's a supply line.

What he said! Also an ex plumber. I don't miss it at all..

Thanks guys. I can't get into it from behind either since we're in townhouses. I'm taking the cabinets down tonight so I can get to it from below. This really sucks, but at least the leak stops if we don't run the shower...:(

Thanks guys. I can't get into it from behind either since we're in townhouses. I'm taking the cabinets down tonight so I can get to it from below. This really sucks, but at least the leak stops if we don't run the shower...:(

Does it leak when you drain the tub?

If there is just a small leak when you shower it may not be the drain. I had a problem in a new house with water getting behind the faucet when we showered. We had to reseal around where the decorative faucet cover met the plastic tub. If things are new this might be where the problem lies.

Craig

i know our townhouse (rental) has a panel in the room behind the tub to gain access to the plumbing... thank god it's in a closet (ugly looking panel with 8,000 coats of paint).

+1 to square cuts, there is nothing more frustrating that trying to patch odd shaped holes that were cut in a fury.

Does it leak when you drain the tub?

If there is just a small leak when you shower it may not be the drain. I had a problem in a new house with water getting behind the faucet when we showered. We had to reseal around where the decorative faucet cover met the plastic tub. If things are new this might be where the problem lies.

Craig

Yes it leaks when draining. There is no sealing needed, I think something just broke. The internals are probably rusty and I was plunging the **** out of it before it started leaking. I probably broke something open...:mad:

You'll need to be aware of getting mold. Water trapped in walls and between floors will eventually facilitate mold growth... especially this time of year. You really need to expose all areas affected by the leak, treat any mold-like staining or growth with a biocide (in some cases replacing building materials is necessary) and dehumidify the hell out of the whole area.

I'm working on a case now that started as a simple refrigerator ice-line leak and went on for a couple months unknown. We had to call in an abatement company to tear out drywall, kitchen cabinets, flooring, and insulation, then treat the framing with biocide and dry it out before putting it back together. Homeowner's insurance covered it (or at least most of it).

The sooner you take care of this, the less it will cost. PM me if you need more info.

You'll need to be aware of getting mold. Water trapped in walls and between floors will eventually facilitate mold growth... especially this time of year. You really need to expose all areas affected by the leak, treat any mold-like staining or growth with a biocide (in some cases replacing building materials is necessary) and dehumidify the hell out of the whole area.

I'm working on a case now that started as a simple refrigerator ice-line leak and went on for a couple months unknown. We had to call in an abatement company to tear out drywall, kitchen cabinets, flooring, and insulation, then treat the framing with biocide and dry it out before putting it back together. Homeowner's insurance covered it (or at least most of it).

The sooner you take care of this, the less it will cost. PM me if you need more info.

Thanks. I think we'll be ok in that area. I am taking the cabinets down soon though to begin cutting the drywall...

On a side note, does anyone know how liable I'd be for mold growth after the sale of the house? I mean if I don't see it and the house is sold "as is", I can't be held accountable, right?

If you know anyone with an IR camera-It will pinpoint the leak straight to the source.

I do!... well at work, anyway.

On a side note, does anyone know how liable I'd be for mold growth after the sale of the house? I mean if I don't see it and the house is sold "as is", I can't be held accountable, right?

There are disclosure laws... essentially anything you know about, you have to disclose.:( I wouldn't mess around with that. I deal with these types of lawsuits frequently. Anyway, if a home inspector is brought in by prospective buyers. He might find more than like!

There are disclosure laws... essentially anything you know about, you have to disclose.:( I wouldn't mess around with that. I deal with these types of lawsuits frequently. Anyway, if a home inspector is brought in by prospective buyers. He might find more than like!

Well considering the woman we bought the house from didn't disclose several things, I think we'll be clear. The only way an inspector could find this specific area is if he takes the cabinets down...

Stripped screw? Drill off the head.

I had a shower drain leaking into my kitchen ceiling also. Is it by chance a fiberglass shower pan? In mine, the PVC pipe just stuck up into a recess in the shower pan and got sealed with a big rubber gasket. The PVC was sticking up to the point where water was pooling on top of the gasket. I pulled the pipe up as high as I could then cut some off the end with a hack saw. Once I pushed it back down into the gasket so it wasn't sticking up anymore, it didn't leak at all. Cut your drywall down the center of your joists so you can put a new piece back in and have nailing surfaces.

Stripped screw? Drill off the head.

I had a shower drain leaking into my kitchen ceiling also. Is it by chance a fiberglass shower pan? In mine, the PVC pipe just stuck up into a recess in the shower pan and got sealed with a big rubber gasket. The PVC was sticking up to the point where water was pooling on top of the gasket. I pulled the pipe up as high as I could then cut some off the end with a hack saw. Once I pushed it back down into the gasket so it wasn't sticking up anymore, it didn't leak at all. Cut your drywall down the center of your joists so you can put a new piece back in and have nailing surfaces.

Nice, I dremeled the head off successfully. I don't know if its fiberglass or not. It looks like I'm not going to be able to fix it tonight, but I'll probably have the plumber do the dirty work. When it comes to plumbing I know almost nothing...

Looks like I'm late to the thread. If it's not too late, I strongly recommend you cut a small hole in the ceiling next to the cabinets nearest the apparent leak source. Make it just big enough to get your head and shoulders through, say from one joist to the next and 2 feet long. The point where the water comes through may not be as close as you think to where the problem is. You may need to remove different cabinets than you think, or you may also see what is going on and be able to fix it without removing any of them. Then there is always option C, where you say something regrettable in front of the kids and call a pro.;)
Seeing exactly what's going on is critical to your planning.

Looks like I'm late to the thread. If it's not too late, I strongly recommend you cut a small hole in the ceiling next to the cabinets nearest the apparent leak source. Make it just big enough to get your head and shoulders through, say from one joist to the next and 2 feet long. The point where the water comes through may not be as close as you think to where the problem is. You may need to remove different cabinets than you think, or you may also see what is going on and be able to fix it without removing any of them. Then there is always option C, where you say something regrettable in front of the kids and call a pro.;)
Seeing exactly what's going on is critical to your planning.

Thanks. I will be cutting through and checking things out. The only problem is I have one cabinet down already. No big deal though, if its coming from elsewhere I only have to put one cabinet back up...

Sounds like a lot of work. Burn the place to the ground, collct the insurance and buy a new place without a leaky pipe.

Yikes, sorry to hear that, Soulive. I'm a bit of a DIY'er, so feel free to PM me if you think that I can be of any help.

Sounds like a lot of work. Burn the place to the ground, collct the insurance and buy a new place without a leaky pipe.

I wish man. After remodeling the entire kitchen, nothing seems like a lot of work anymore...

Yikes, sorry to hear that, Soulive. I'm a bit of a DIY'er, so feel free to PM me if you think that I can be of any help.

Thanks, I'll probably PM once I get to look inside the rafters...

Plus if you burn the place down, you'll have easy access to the pipes, allowing you to fix the leaking pipe.

Unless the leaky pipe is PVC in which case the ENTIRE problem goes away.

Ben, what was the drain pipe type on your kitchen sink prior to the remodel? PVC, copper, or iron?

Also, if it's a shower stall that we're talking about, you should be able to take the cover plate off and look inside with a flashlight to see what kind of pipe it is. If it's a tub, not so much. If it's PVC, it's likely a gasket issue right at the shower like I mentioned.

Unless the leaky pipe is PVC in which case the ENTIRE problem goes away.

Ben, what was the drain pipe type on your kitchen sink prior to the remodel? PVC, copper, or iron?

Also, if it's a shower stall that we're talking about, you should be able to take the cover plate off and look inside with a flashlight to see what kind of pipe it is. If it's a tub, not so much. If it's PVC, it's likely a gasket issue right at the shower like I mentioned.

The pipes in these old places are all galvanized steel. Its an actual tub, not shower stall that I have. I think when I was plunging it, something cracked/crumbled. I will probably have to replace the flange once I get in there...

So the steel part under the tub drain basket was fractured. I am trying to DIY this as much as I can, but I may get to the point of needing the plumber. I siliconed the **** out of everything and now I'm waiting for it to cure. These old steel pipes don't like to budge. I did find a dead baby bird up in there though. That was pretty exciting...:rolleyes:

plumbing1.jpg

Back