First batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WARoberson

Reaction score
Pitched my first batch last night. An American Blonde. The recipe says it has a OG of 1.048 and I read an OG of 1.046. I am thinking that either I looked at the TINY lines and numbers wrong, or I was a little over the 60 degrees for a true reading.

Were there any specialty grains? The steeping may not have been long enough or at the right temp. Those lines are pretty small.

Or there might have been bubbles stuck to the hydrometer and moved it up just a hair.

.002 variation on a OG isnt that big a problem, or is it?

No. Original gravity readings when brewing extract aren't nearly as important as when brewing all-grain (unless you are WAY off). They are necessary to determine ABV and to track fermentation but I wouldn't worry about being a little off from your target gravity.

Were there any specialty grains? The steeping may not have been long enough or at the right temp. Those lines are pretty small.

Yes. Recipe has 6 oz Carapils and 4 oz Carafoam. Recipe said raise temp to approximately 160, turn off heat and steep for 20 minutes. I was at 155, so I figured that was close enough to 160 (seeing as the recipe said approximately 160).

Back