Does Iodophor last?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timmystank

Reaction score
On bottling day I was thinking after reaching into 10 gallons of iodophorm treated water for an hour...is the sanitizer losing its punch from me reaching in there constantly to get bottles?

As long as its still an orange-ey hugh you're fine. Obviously if you have chunck of crap/dirt/debrie etc in there you want to be weary of them as a good measure but as long as its still the color of Budweiser maybe a little darker your fine (I usually mix a darker mix so that it evaporates to the color of Bud.) But as long as its a gold color - it will still sanitize and your hand after the first dip was sanitized as well too!

ALso just so you know, you can save your Idophor - I put it in some old washed and cleaned 2L soda bottles and then just add a drop more to make sure its the right ratio.

You can try to measure it out exactly but as you'll find alot of people on here say as long as it still a golden hugh, its still all good.

Gold=good
Clear=bad

10 gallons of solution sounds like a lot! National Chemicals recommends having contact with sanitizer for at least 2 minutes (that doesn't mean submerged in solution, just wetted with sanitizer). Here is the Basic Brewing episode that has all answers about Iodophor. Murl Landman basically says that brewers tend to use too much Iodophor and that they can just swirl the solution. That measuring the exact amounts is pretty critical. I tend to make about a gallon of it when sanitizing a carboy: just swirl and then dunk. You can also put the solution in a spray bottle to "spot" sanitize. He also says that diluted Iodophor is not as stable and should be used within 8 hours.

http://media.libsyn.com/media/basicbrewing/bbr03-22-07.mp3

New to this (first brew bottled on the weekend) and the idophore that I used was carefully measured, but by the time I finished bottling, maybe an hour later, the water was nearly clear. I understand that sunlight affects idophore, and our kitchen is quite bright in the morning, so that may have much to do with it.

your best bet with bottles is usually mass-sanitize and then let drip on a bottle tree upside down (preferably that was also dipped in some idophor) - if they are upside down they will drip dry and you won't have any iodine really in your bottle and they are held nicely in one location making it easier to bottle (your not running across the room as I used to have to do when you miscount the bottles) and sanitizing as a batch IMO is alot easier, quicker and saves alot of sanitizer. Idophor just needs to have made contact with the surface it does not need to soak - as Davesrose mentioned and as metioned many a times elsewhere. Thats why a 4oz bottle of idophor can last a very long time.

Also just cover it up with a towel, that would help block sunlight from hitting it if you have a small container of it

Back