Cream Ale Cream of Three Crops (Cream Ale)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I brewed a ten gallon batch and dry hopped half of it, I drank the regular first while the second five gallons sat and then dry hopped the second five gallons with one ounce of centennial hops for one week. I'm drinking the dry hopped version now and it's excellent.

Should be bottling my first batch of this, tonight. Used 2007 vintage Nottingham yeast at 59F.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Brewing this today.

1400002443784.jpg

1400002463091.jpg

1400002512700.jpg

A lot of people have said that it takes around 6 weeks for the beer to get really good. Anyone ever try to filter it? Did you still have to wait around 6 weeks?

And without reading 241 pages..... is the consensus still US-05? What about 1056?

1056 and us-05 are pretty much the same yeast also wlp001. No need to filter this beer. 2 weeks in the primary and one week in the keg and its clear as a bell. May use a little gelatin as a clearing agent if your in a rush.

Bottled my version of this last night. Really tasty. I used Pilsen and 2 row. VERY pale.

Just brewed my first BIAB ever, scaled down the recipe to 2 gallons into the fermenter. Looks great, my efficiency was a little better than expected so OG is at 1.047. Instead of flaked corn (couldn't get it at LHBS, and grits are impossible to find here) I used cornmeal that I cooked with a handful of 2-row last night, stored in the fridge overnight and added to the mash this morning. Not sure if that's going to work out ok (I've never used cornmeal before) but it sure smelled great! Nice pale colour. I pitched with US-05, no starter but I used a large amount so I should be safe. Hoping this becomes my summer beer!

Subbed out 3# Pilsen malt. It's pretty pale. This is three days after bottling.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1400269641.236926.jpg

Planning on brewing a five gallon batch of this next weekend and just halving the recipe. I have an American wheat beer of similar o.g. in the fermenter now with us 05 that will be ready for botteling, skipping a secondary. Any concerns with putting this one on top of that yeast cake? I haven't reused yeast before and have heard the next beer should be a higher gravity when reusing a yeast cake. Also does it matter that the carboy us covered in trub from the current batch?

Planning on brewing a five gallon batch of this next weekend and just halving the recipe. I have an American wheat beer of similar o.g. in the fermenter now with us 05 that will be ready for botteling, skipping a secondary. Any concerns with putting this one on top of that yeast cake? I haven't reused yeast before and have heard the next beer should be a higher gravity when reusing a yeast cake. Also does it matter that the carboy us covered in trub from the current batch?

I just just this... Worked out great!!!

You don't want to pitch it onto the previous yeast cake. It can make a fine beer, but you want the yeast to be pitched at the appropriate amount. Over pitching is better than under, but you want the yeast to have a chance to multiply.
Use a pitching calculator to help determine how much of your previous slurry you should use.

I used cornmeal that I cooked with a handful of 2-row last night

I have always noticed that the flaked corn in the mash seems to disintegrate anyway, so I am interested in using/finding cheaper sources of corn other than flakes (which cost a whopping 3$ a pound at the brew shop! amazing!) and just make sure its cleaned up well in the vorlauf.

Options include canned corn, fresh whole corn, cornmeal(as mentioned), corn kernels mashed in some way? (perhaps a method of flattening/flaking your own corn?) Cornflakes maybe? lol

Anybody else got ideas for different sources of corn?

If you use popcorn, would you weigh it as kernels and then pop? Or pop it and weigh it? Either way, hot air popping a whole bag of popcorn seems impractical and time consuming. Am I missing something?

Should weigh the same before and after popping. I don't think it would take very long to pop two pounds. Maybe 15 minutes.

I wasn't using this recipe, but I did make a popcorn cream ale yesterday using 1 lb of corn. It filled a bucket a little over 2.5 gallons after I pressed it down, more than I was expecting when I started. It took up a lot less space once it got wet in the mash, though.

Would it hurt to up the grain bill for a 5.5 gal batch to
7 lbs 2 Row
2.75 Flaked Corn
1.75 Flaked Rice

I have the extra ingredients but I don't want to ruin the recipe. I made this last Memorial Day and it was great but I don't have much use for the extra at this time so I was thinking of throwing it in.

Brewing 10 gal tomorrow with double the hops. Gonna put half in fruit in 2 weeks. Still trying to decide on the fruit.

Deacon

Would it hurt to up the grain bill for a 5.5 gal batch to
7 lbs 2 Row
2.75 Flaked Corn
1.75 Flaked Rice

I have the extra ingredients but I don't want to ruin the recipe. I made this last Memorial Day and it was great but I don't have much use for the extra at this time so I was thinking of throwing it in.

My last batch of this was a half batch ( 1st time I made this recipe, 4th all grain creak ale). I halved the recipe exactly. It was a great beer, but very sweet, and took a while to calm that down. All the BMC drinkers lived it though.
Im making a batch this week as a guest brew at my LBHS. Gonna do
6 lbs 2 row
1/2 lb carapils
1 lb corn
1 lb rice
5.25 gallon, shud be very sessionable!

"Sometimes Im right half of the time ...."

A quick update. I was very impressed with the clarity and visual impression of this beer but, to be honest, a
little disappointed with the taste. I'm a hop head concerning ales and a beer snob who loves Czech pils. I'm totally biased and spoiled because I get to travel to Europe regularly with my job and enjoy awesome beers.

I find making IPAs and pale ales fairly easy (as most of you do) but struggle to get a good pils or lager. I'm humbled by the simple ness of the CCC recipe and thankful that BM posted it. I did tweak it so any variances are my own fault.

I must admit that I was totally wrong! After letting the beer age for a few days ( I used only Saaz hops) the beer is outstanding. I've also made an AG Bo Pilz (pils, carahell, Saaz, and 34/70). Mixing the two is heaven!

Thanks BM and all who post here with their recipes and learned knowledge. We are all continually learning and striving to be better brewers.

THANK YOU!
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1401241555.123295.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Just did a half batch BIAB. Started with 8.3 gallons of water. Strike at 157 to 152 for the mash. Pre-boil OG was 1.022 so I was pretty freaked out, but ended up at 1.050 post boil with 6 gallons of wort! Super excited, can't wait to drink it.

6 lbs 2 row
2 pounds flaked corn
14 oz minute rice
1 pound rice husks

.5 oz hops per the recipe.

Just took a hydro sample. Beer smells great and is very pale. There seems to be a lot of floaties in it, maybe because I did BIAB, and crushed extra fine? Just wondering if that could throw off my reading (this is my first biab). I had an OG of 1.047, and now it's two weeks into primary and SG is 1.015. Seems way too high and all I can think of is that the floaties are affecting the reading... I was planning on gelatin/cold crash tomorrow.

Edit to add: fermentation seemed normal. Temps were at 62-68F, finishing on the warmer end of that. Gravity reading was same yesterday too, so it would seem it's done?

I've got little tiny floaties in mine, too. This was also the first time I did not use a secondary, I think it's just fine hop pieces.
The beer is very light and bright. Very corn forward. I had a member in our brew club, who is a beer judge, very surprised it was all grain and not a kit beer.
FWIW, next batch I will be eliminating the rice.

So I brewed a 3.5 gallon batch of this the other day. When I looked at the original recipe I saw the 60min hop addition and just assumed it was a 60min boil. . .so of course I boiled it for 60 min. Just wondering how this might affect the final product. My OG was a little low because this was supposed to be a 3gal batch and I was at 3.5gal after 60min and didn't feel like waiting to boil off the rest. Haha. . . probably would have boiled off in another 30min.

Thought I would share a photo, and give an update on this beer. I really like and enjoy it's great taste and easy drink ability. I am for the most part a hop head, but this is a nice easy drinker, session beer. It is a great cross over for those who think BMC is the only beer there is. I brewed this on 3/23/14, mine came out at 4.7% which is nice for the style. I followed the original recipe for a five gallon batch. It was my first all grain and my water volume were off some, but I still came in with a 74.6% measured efficiency which I was ok with for a first run. I am my brewery today, just kegged up a Two Hearted Ale clone, brewing a red ale and drinking a Cream Of Three Crops. Will not,let me upload a picture, says it timed out so I'll try to upload it by its self. The beer with very clean and clear just as you would expect.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Just did a half batch BIAB. Started with 8.3 gallons of water. Strike at 157 to 152 for the mash. Pre-boil OG was 1.022 so I was pretty freaked out, but ended up at 1.050 post boil with 6 gallons of wort! Super excited, can't wait to drink it.

6 lbs 2 row
2 pounds flaked corn
14 oz minute rice
1 pound rice husks

.5 oz hops per the recipe.

Why use rice husks when your doing biab?

I did a 12 gal batch (my first 12 gal batch) and was totally impressed with my efficiency OG was 1.058 I split the batch with 5 gal US05 and 5 gal Kolsch yeast WLP 029 US 05 FG was 1.010 and the Kolsch was 1.018 I bottled the US05 batch and let the kolsch sit out at room temp to see if it finishes lower

Brewed 5gallons yesterday. Didn't have Willamette hops so i subd in Saaz. Pitched with Wyeast Kolsch II yeast in a 1.6L starter. Did a 2 hour Mash @148, had to run out for a bit, then boiled 60 min. OG only 1.033, so I may toss in some sugar depending on where it finishes.

I used Saaz and Nottingham in mine. I think the notty has given it a tang. I'll use 05 or a Kolsh yeast next time.

Back