Change of Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomtom

Reaction score
I have a Craem Ale extract kit from NB I am getting ready to brew, and I'm thinking about changing the yeast used from the liquid Wyeast 1056 American Ale to a dry Nottingham Ale. I was thinking about doing this due to the temps it will be stored during primary fermentation. It is almost summer and I expect the temps will be around 70-75 where it will be stored. Am I screwing up or will this work out OK?
:mug:

Well, I doubt you'd notice much of a difference really in the difference. But, Nottingham really shouldn't be above 70-72 degrees either. So, they have basically the same temperature requirements. You can try to use a swamp cooler or something to keep the temp in the 60s. Summer brewing can be challenging!

Ok, don't know what I wuz think'n. We're just getting through a late cold front here in FL. and it's warming quickly. I guess I'll have to run my window unit in my shop to keep the temps down. I might also try the cooler rig. Thanks for the heads-up.

I brewed a APA with the Wyeast #1056 American Ale last night and I pitched it a bit hot 80 or so. I did the swamp cooler thing with a bathtub of cool water and a wet t-shirt over it and a fan. Got a little cool last night and I think I'm now on the low end. I cut the fan off this morning.

THE QUESTION: How much does fluctuating temps effect things as long as it stays in the 60-72 deg. suggested for 1056?

tomtom said:
Ok, don't know what I wuz think'n. We're just getting through a late cold front here in FL. and it's warming quickly. I guess I'll have to run my window unit in my shop to keep the temps down. I might also try the cooler rig. Thanks for the heads-up.

No need to waste electricity - just stick your carboy into one of those Igloo cube coolers, make a new lid out of polystyrene with a hole for the airlock, fill the cooler with water and stick a couple of ice packs or frozen water bottles in there. That should get you into the mid-60s.

tomtom said:
I have a Craem Ale extract kit from NB I am getting ready to brew, and I'm thinking about changing the yeast used from the liquid Wyeast 1056 American Ale to a dry Nottingham Ale. I was thinking about doing this due to the temps it will be stored during primary fermentation. It is almost summer and I expect the temps will be around 70-75 where it will be stored. Am I screwing up or will this work out OK?
:mug:

I just made a Pale Ale using this yeast and it fermented between 68-74F...the first few days it was a bit hot around here, then it cooled down. I was also worried about the high temps, but the beer turned out fantastic. I wouldn't worry too much unless you get consistently high temps above 75F. In that case, I'd look into some of the methods of cooling...or if you have an extra small fridge, do something like this: My Mini-Fridge Fermentation Chiller Project.

Or this: Son of Fermentation Chiller

Back