has anyone ever seen this stuff before?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tarzanchuck

Reaction score
I was at my local international market in this stuff caught my eye the only things in it are sugar, juice and citric acid. Anyone here ever tried to make wine out of it?

ForumRunner_20121213_152927.png

the bottle is $5 and the sugar content is pretty high. 26g of sugar per ounce according to the label so about 3 cups of sugar per bottle.

seems like itd be about the same as making a wine from concentrate.

i think it would probably be awesome for backsweetening.

they had a few flavors too. i think ill try to make a gallon to see how it works. think one or two bottles for a gallon worth?

I would say go for it I have my second batch of wine just using grape juice frozen concentrate. I also added even more sugar. If you do that though add some yeast energizer. You will get some strong stuff.

i love making welchs wine. i actually bottle it at about 1.01 and let it carbonate a bit. turns out like a sangria.

so i was right. one bottle of syrup came in at 1.08 when made up to a gallon. added a little extra from a second bottle to get an sg of 1.09. 1/2 teaspoon of nutient and pectic enzyme plus d47 yeast.

ForumRunner_20121215_162214.jpg

That REALLY looks good! One of my favorite wines in Pom Blueberry, even though I am not fond of blueberries in their natural state. I think I was reading that Yooper made cranberry wine out of canned cranberries you get at the holidays.

i have a blackberry wine going right now that i made from berries i picked myself. one of tge nice things aboit living in the northwest. unlimited supply of blackberries for free for about a month every year

i have a blackberry wine going right now that i made from berries i picked myself. one of tge nice things aboit living in the northwest. unlimited supply of blackberries for free for about a month every year

I can relate to that...I lived in Michigan most of my life, I used to love picking the wild raspberries. Now I am in Southern Mississippi and the opportunities are endless when it comes to the produce I can grow. Pomegranates, blueberies, Goji berries, Passion fruit...etc. Husband was out mowing the lawn today and I was picking pea pods and carrots. Really thinking about some carrot wine...for medicinal purposes, of course! :)

Save those pea pods. Never tried it but its a well known wine in the UK. An old sit com used to joke about their pea pod burgundy. Usually resulting in drunken hijinks.

I had a friend tell me want to live in Amish country and that the Amish ferment everything and they'll get drunk and drive their horse and buggy down to Walmart and watch all the Walmart people

carrot wine sounds like fun!

5 GALLONS:
20 pounds carrots sliced in food processor, 4 bananas and skins all boiled until carrots soft, drained, keep liquid
dissolve about 10 lb sugar in hot liquid
Cool
Add 5 can welches niagra
~20 tsp acid blend
Amylase
Pectinase
Nutrient
SG=1.11
Boost with sugar syrup when SG falls to 1.01
Ckear and bottle

Not a bad white wine, you loose all the carrot color so its just a normal white wine color. Easier to just make Welches Niagra by itself - the peach niagra turns out well if you add more cans of juice at the start.

WVMJ

Where did you pick up the syrup? Sounds like some favors that would go well with Berliner Weisse.

it was at some sort of international grocery near seattle. specializes mostly in indian and ethiopian food. im guessing you wont find it at a typical grocery store.

5 GALLONS:
20 pounds carrots sliced in food processor, 4 bananas and skins all boiled until carrots soft, drained, keep liquid
dissolve about 10 lb sugar in hot liquid
Cool
Add 5 can welches niagra
~20 tsp acid blend
Amylase
Pectinase
Nutrient
SG=1.11
Boost with sugar syrup when SG falls to 1.01
Ckear and bottle

Not a bad white wine, you loose all the carrot color so its just a normal white wine color. Easier to just make Welches Niagra by itself - the peach niagra turns out well if you add more cans of juice at the start.

WVMJ

Now that sound interesting...I have some peach wine in the secondary, and when I put the peaches in the primary, I didn't want to use water, so I used white grape juice, on a whim...glad you posted this, I think I am on the right track.

Save those pea pods. Never tried it but its a well known wine in the UK. An old sit com used to joke about their pea pod burgundy. Usually resulting in drunken hijinks.

Sadly, they are just the pea pods, and not enough for wine, but enough for schezuan stir fry! :)

Latest posts

Back