6.5 THOUSAND people online 11-12-12?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's only one month left to consume all your homebrew before the end. Get to drinking.

Well if the dooms day folks are right, I'm going to go out with some darn good beer ready in the fermenter. Some in the keg also.
Just in case you get to choose a couple things to take like a carry on!

Never mind, found it on the bottom of the homepage. Guess I never scrolled down that far. Cool that they have birthdays listed and is that long list everyone that's online currently?

Bots on here? Why?
I assumed it was active population. I love that I can ask a question about ANY field (science/math/engineering/cooking) and get professional, community edited answers. Six thousand is insane. I'm from a small town with a big student body (20k) and that number is nearly inconceivable for one interest.

Bots on here? Why?
I assumed it was active population. I love that I can ask a question about ANY field (science/math/engineering/cooking) and get professional, community edited answers. Six thousand is insane. I'm from a small town with a big student body (20k) and that number is nearly inconceivable for one interest.

Google just about anything and, often times, you'll get a hit to HBT within the top 10. Is that not the work of a bot crawl?

Some of those are bots. It would be difficult to determine, but the members online are not.

Are some of those spammers? Sure, but the majority are not.

For how often HBT comes up on google, I am floored at how often brewers haven't heard of the site. I recommend it almost daily. Most of the brewers around here are too fixed in their ways to give the site a try.

I feel sorry for the professional brewers who AREN'T on this site as well. It seems like such an asset to have people familiar with brewing, but educated in other fields to give specialized input.

GilaMinumBeer said:
Google just about anything and, often times, you'll get a hit to HBT within the top 10. Is that not the work of a bot crawl?
Thundercougarfalconbird said:
For how often HBT comes up on google, I am floored at how often brewers haven't heard of the site.

It doesn't come up nearly as much as you think. Google knows you use the site a lot (as it does I) and so it assumes that results on HBT are either more relevant to your queries or just flat out preferred by you.

If you made the same searches on a new computer (I don't think they track IPs for this purpose) with a new (or simply no) user account, HBT will end up further down the list than the top spots you often see it occupying... in many, if not most, cases (depending on the kinds of things you search for), MUCH further down the list, so as to go absolutely unseen and unnoticed by the average user. Just about anything that tends to show up for a search unrelated to beer or homebrew - and even many that ARE - are a result of this.

(BTW... a bot "crawl" is what Google itself does to both index and rank pages, so it could certainly be said to be the work of that ;))

Back