BCS/Electric Wiring Diagram

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dutchb

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I have the majority of my electric build on order and im looking at running this off of a 50amp breaker. I have the receptacle in place as well. I'd like to run 2 Elements at the same time, 4500w for HLT, and a 5500w for BK.

Ill also be running the BCS, and 1 pump.

I see that you can purchase "Power Switch Tail 2" - is that pretty much the standard im assuming to power the BCS?

if so, I would like to have the (3) 110 outlets to run the laptop, pump, and the bcs right on the brew rig to eliminate wires on the ground.

Can anyone link me to a similar wiring diagram?

Thanks

I havnet seen the switch tail your talking about but i am putting two din mount 110 receptacles inside my panel to power my bcs and wireless gateway

That doesn't power the BCS, which btw mine came with a power cord. That is a plug and play device that the BCS can switch on and off instead of using SSR's and such. You would plug one end in the wall and the other end to the thing you want on and off. There are inputs on the block part of that thing to attach your BCS to that turns it on and off.

You need to build something in your cp for your BCS power cord to plug into, like the DIN rail outlets mentioned.

I see some have used terminal blocks, could I get away with using them?

I see some have used terminal blocks, could I get away with using them?

What diagram did you base your parts orders on so far? How you power your outlets is a pretty substantial part of the build. Terminal blocks and fuses, terminal blocks and breakers etc.

The BCS power cord is 5vDC so it looks something like this so you obviously need something to plug it into.

Screen Shot 2012-07-11 at 3.03.10 PM.png

I don't know of a specific diagram with 2 - 240 amp and 4 - 110 outlets shown, but you should be able to figure out how to add additional 110 outlets from any of the dozens of diagrams around here.

I dont have a specific one I followed since most people seem to be running herms/rims, which im not. I havent ordered all my parts, mainly I have the same plugs/receps from Kal, so that its all removable (except I will only be running 1 pump). So (1) 250v main power feed (plug and recep) Then (2) 250v plugs/recep for elements which I would like to run at the same time when needed. I also have (2) 40 amp relays ordered, along with (1) 25amp for the pump. both have heat sinks.
I picked up 4 terminal blocks today, I know I need to figure out the breakers/din rail situation next.

dutchb,
As always you can go a number of ways. You say you want 4 outlets, where are you planning to put all the pieces? All inside the box? The pump is already taken into account in many drawings, mine all show 2 but you can negate one easily, or even use the second for the laptop, and negate the SSR. As for the switch and BCS, I'm assuming those would go inside, DIN mounted are an easy approach if your enclosure is deep enough. I caught your thread a little late in my morning, but I will try and post something more tonight.
DIN Rail and terminal blocks are a hurdle, but once you get it, it just clicks. I swear by them in my builds.

@hatrickwah - I do have plenty of room in my box, it looks like im going the DIN rail way, It seems to be the easiest & most practical way. I talked to the guy who's giving me a hand with the wiring and we are going to the local electric shop and check out there supply. I would like 3 of the 4 outlets on the box, and 1 on the outside of the brew rig.

* edit - Not sure if it makes it any clearer, but 1 outlet will be for the pump - off of a relay from the BCS, and the other 3 outlets would stay hot.

@hatrickwah - I ended up going through your website and ordering the majority of what I needed for the hardware. Other than the schematic, im pretty sure i've got all the parts I need.

Back