Hill Farmstead Edward Hop Schedule

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

InityBrew

Reaction score
I am trying to get close to this masterpiece.

The site says:
13.5P
85 ibus (seems a little high)
2 row and crystal malts

Centennial, Chinook, Columbus, Simcoe, and Warrior hops;

Here is what i came up with:

60 min - 0.50 oz Warrior [15.00 %] - 24.7 IBUs

15 min - 0.25 0z Columbus [13.00 %] - 5.3 IBUs
15 min - 0.50 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - 10.6 IBUs
15 min - 0.25 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - 5.5 IBUs

10 min - 0.50 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - 7.8 IBUs
10 min - 0.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - 6.0 IBUs
10 min - 0.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [13.00 %] - 7.8 IBUs

Flame out:
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] -
0.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] -
0.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %]

Total IBUS: 66.6 (doesnt account for the 20 - 30 min steep @ 180 degrees that may pick up a few more ibus

Any input would be great. i just threw this together.

I have actually been going back and forth a bit with Shaun at HFS and he's quite secretive about the recipe. He did tell me though that Columbus is in the co2 extract form and is used for bittering only.
Edit: He also seemed to allude that roughly half of the 85 IBUs came from the bittering addition, which leads me to think this beer has a ton of late hop additions (i.e. hop bursting or large whirlpool additions)

I'm sure they used more hops at 60 minutes than that. In addition, it wouldn't be a bad idea to throw some at FWH to give the beer a wonderful hop flavor to round out that bitterness. I find that when FWHd enough, high IBUs tend to be hidden amongst the canopy of hop flavor. Columbus is likely used quite a bit at bittering to get about 70 IBUs, and I'd say Simcoe and Warrior at FWH and FO, and Centennial and Chinook for a ton to flavor. I'd then probably dry hop with Simcoe, Columbus, and Centennial.

I also know that he uses a lot of hop extract....

I'm assuming the 20-30 min steep you were mentioning was a FWH addition? Good luck!

Thanks for the input guys! I am going to give this a shot this weekend..

Grain bill:
11lbs 2 row
0.75 c20?

5.5 gallons

Est OG 1.054 at 70%

Here is my modified hop schedule.

FWH
0.50 oz Warrior [15.00 %] - 15.5 IBUs
0.50 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - 12.6 IBUs

60 min
.50 0z Columbus [13.00 %] - 20.1 IBUs

15 min -
0.50 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - 10.6 IBUs
0.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - 7.7 IBUs

5 min
0.50 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - 4.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - 6.2 IBUs

Flame out:
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %]
0.50 oz Warrior[15.00 %]
0.50 oz Columbus [14.00 %]

Total IBUs 76.1

Any ideas on what yeast to use?

Here is what I went with.. a little different

Grain bill:
11lbs 2 row
0.50 c20
.50 flaked wheat
.50 carapils

5.5 gallons
OG 1.053

FWH
0.50 oz Warrior [15.00 %] - 15.5 IBUs
0.50 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - 12.6 IBUs

60 min
.25 0z Columbus [13.00 %] - 11.1 IBUs

15 min -
0.50 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - 10.6 IBUs
0.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - 7.7 IBUs

5 min
0.50 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - 4.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - 6.2 IBUs

Flame out:
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %]
0.50 oz Warrior[15.00 %]
0.50 oz Columbus [14.00 %]

Total IBUs 65ish

Used wlp007

It has only been 1 week.. will pull a sample soon

It turned out good, but nothing like edward though. Next time I will double the flavor hops and mash at 153 instead of 150

The flaked wheat and carapils give it a good creqmy mouthfeel, but there as much body and hop flavor as I like in a pale ale.

Also, it has only been kegged for 2 weeks and I didn't dry hop it in the fermentor..(I used the yeast cake for another brew)

It is sitting with 2oz of whole hops at 50 degrees right now. I am going to have a pint tonight to see how it is progressing.

Any update?

I'm looking to get that nice citrus/tropical hop flavor to come through. I need it. I must have it.

Amarillo, citra and simcoe is a good combo for that flavor. If you can get falconers flight you will not be dissatisfied. Tis a great late hop addition

Also, after a month in the keg this beer turned out great. Tasted kind of like Daisy cutter.. another great pale

I don't know what Shaun is doing up there, but I do like it. I took a trip up last month and was very impressed.

I haven't yet attempted a clone, but I do have some suggestions:

• 2-row and Crystal only. I might add some carapils for head retention, but I'll probably go 2-row and C-40 to get to 13.5 Plato.
  • Mash 153-154 for some decent body.
  • Yeast is probably a fairly (but not completely) neutral english strain, methinks (not US-05/1056/001). I have propogated a pitch from a bottle of Everett, but I don't know what it is.
  • I don't think there's a 60 minute hop addition. I think there's some kind of combination of FWH and 30-20min addition to achieve the bitterness. To my palate, the bitterness was very smooth and spread across the mouth. In my experience, Columbus is a delightful, but very aggressive hop at 60+ min. Edward doesn't taste like an 85 ibu beer to me (Dale's Pale Ale, for example, is 65 but far more bitter). Differing schools of thought on how to calculate IBU could be to blame.
  • Lots of late hops. Probably flameout, whirlpool and certainly dry hops.
  • Water is important. Probably pretty low across the board, but moderate Chloride and moderate-high Sulfate

Citra and simcoe would give similar results to edward. 40ibus at 60 or maybe FWH, then huge late additions and 3oz dry hop.

boddingtons yeast. water profile is huge, if not the most important aspect of all of their [hoppy] beers.

Wyeast 1318 - London Ale III is Boddingtons. Not sure if you were looking for a source as in reference to which yeast is used or source as in where you can buy it. I can only help you with the latter.

No... Sorry I need to be more clear. I'm wondering what the source of this information is. Mr. Hill is notorious for being secretive about his ingredients so I'm skeptical that this information is correct.

Follow-up question on Edward...

The Hill Farmstead web site says Edward has 85 ibus, but the beer is not that bitter. I had a glass at Prohibition Pig a few weeks ago!

A Dogfish 60 minute IPA has 60 IBUs and is definitely much more bitter than Edward.

What's up with that?

Well 85 is probably calculated and not measured. Utilization gets tricky when you put hops in the whirlpool. It's also widely accepted that late boil hops offer a softer bitterness. Edward obviously has a lot of late boil/whirlpool hops - it's flavor and aroma are a punch in the mouth. Also, Edward isn't as attenuated as 60 minute (FG for Edward is around 1.015-16), this residual body and sweetness can help to dull the impact of bitterness.

have read elsewhere that Shaun is strict about pH, has anyone taken a final reading on Edward?? I think this, plus sulfate and chloride levels, could be key to cramming 85IBU's into a 5.2% pale ale, assuming he uses Tinseth. The residual sugars also contributing a lot to mouthfeel, but with appropriate pH one could mask the sweetness. My guess would be in the 4.2-4.3 range but I could be wrong!

This was from the assistant brewer way back in 2011. Also, fwiw, do not take what ingredients that are listed on the site as scripture. Abner has a ton of Citra in it and isn't listed as one of the ingredients on the site.

After having Harlan and Edward for the first time last week, I've begun the impossible task of trying to get close to a similar recipe, knowing a real clone will be pretty tough to hit. I'd actually like to attempt Harlan, as I think it was even better.

According to their site, it's described as:

Harlan IPA is Edward’s slightly more aggressive alter-ego. Dry Hopped exclusively with Columbus hops.

So my plan of attack is to formulate a similar recipe to the above that worked, and then bring the hopping up to about 100 IBU's with a 60/20/10/0 schedule, and dryhop exclusively with Columbus, as stated above.

Any thoughts? I'll post the recipe I'm trying to create when I'm at home later.

After having Harlan and Edward for the first time last week, I've begun the impossible task of trying to get close to a similar recipe, knowing a real clone will be pretty tough to hit. I'd actually like to attempt Harlan, as I think it was even better.

According to their site, it's described as:

So my plan of attack is to formulate a similar recipe to the above that worked, and then bring the hopping up to about 100 IBU's with a 60/20/10/0 schedule, and dryhop exclusively with Columbus, as stated above.

Any thoughts? I'll post the recipe I'm trying to create when I'm at home later.

According to an other thread you should get your mash ph around 5.3-5.4, get more Cl than SO4 in the water, use 1318 and huge whirlpool and dryhop additions.

That's what I've read, although first pass I may just skip it - unless I can figure out how to do it properly.

Edit, here's the recipe. FYI I'm no expert and only doing this based on my experiences with brewing so far. This may not be a great attempt... correct me if anything looks totally wrong.

Harlan IPA Clone attempt

Batch: 5.5 Gallons
ABV: 5.78%
OG: 1.060 FG: 1.016
IBU's: 102.4
SRM: 3.9

Malt:

12 lb Pale Malt
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine
2.0 oz Acid Malt

Hops:

.75 oz Warrior – 60 min

.50 oz Simcoe – 20 min
.50 oz Centennial – 20 min
.50 oz Columbus – 20 min
.50 oz Chinook – 20 min

1.0 oz Centennial – 10 min
1.0 oz Simcoe – 10 min

1.0 oz Centennial – 0 min (Whirlpool for 20 mins maybe?)
1.0 oz Simcoe – 0 min (Whirlpool for 20 mins maybe?)

1.0 oz Columbus – Dry Hop 2 Days
1.0 oz Columbus – Dry Hop 2 Days (new addition, 2 more days)
1.0 oz Columbus – Dry Hop 2 Days (new addition, 2 more days)

Yeast:
Wyeast 1318 London Ale III​

Back